• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new pedigree?

34 posts in this topic

There's an article in today's (4/25) Sacramento Bee about an grocery store in Billings, Montana that was boarded up in 1952 and just reopened after 41 years. The entire stock of the store, plus overstock in a few outbuildings is still there: beer, wine, Kool Aid in the original packets, an unused and unopened Coca-Cola display case, a model train still in the box, and more, including .... MAGAZINES!!!

The article doesn't say anything about comics, but if they had a newstand, they probably had comic books. Which means there could be stacks of 1952 comics still sitting there. I imagine multiples of DCs, pre-code horror, ECs, Barks Ducks, and more sitting on those shelves for 40 years. If they're there, I bet the pages aren't white anymore, but the books are damn nice.

Everything in the store is going to be auctioned at some point soon. I'd post a link to the article but the Sacbee website is being pokey.

Damn ... also from the article:

hundreds of packages of food, spices and condiments that look as though they were just put on the shelf.

Makes you wonder what the other paper products look like, huh?!? shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

It's cool in that it's like opening up a gigantic time capsule and stepping back into the past. Not just a small piece, but a big chunk is represented. What they ate.....what they read.......how they advertised.......all together from one very specific point in time. Pretty "Neat-O" if you ask me. tongue.gif

I really wish I could make this auction. You are very correct about the time capsule comment. This as close as you can ever get to living during that period of time.

Tom

i'm not trying to diss 1952 comics, but my understanding of baseball cards is that MM's rookie (next to the Honus Wagner T-210 card) is essentially the Action 1 of baseball cards.

i think the card in mint "guides" easily at 5-digits. i'm not sure you can say that about most comics printed in 1952, even if graded 9.6.

again, i'm not assuming back-issue stock (like them having a detective 27 lying around), i'm talking about *1952*. i know MM's rookie is around there.