• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED! Kramerica's 2024 Festivus Sale!
12 12

1,920 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2024 at 8:00 PM, Kripsys99 said:

53d93b29-b637-4125-be50-8bc6a2e37976_text-ezgif.com-added-text.gif.5f223e2b24a72c484665dac563dfedd8.gif

Yeah, thanks Krispys99. 

Can we please chill on the unnecessary back and forth you Dolts? A little bit is one thing but you guys are exceeding the usual level of permitted moronolithic activities..

On 2/2/2024 at 9:45 PM, Kramerica said:

Very cool stuff. But when it came to animation I was a huge Bakshi fan. To the point that some of his movies would influence my taste in music, elves, rotoscoping and which Balrogs I would date.

Wizards was a Classic on the midnight madness movie theater circuit around our way. One especially memorable double header was, IIRC, "Song Remains The Same", plus "Wizards". That was MANY years ago, and most of those brain cells never left the theater. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

"Larry LOVES Master, Master feeds Larry!"

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/1/2024 at 2:14 PM, Kramerica said:

Daredevil #92 F/VF 7.0 $10.00

IMG_3241.thumb.JPG.c568d53ce97fcc1dcfcbef4a32ea9ca9.JPG

IMG_3242.thumb.JPG.eb73fd797768a3d34e1667d3a66aced9.JPG

I'll take this too - with a clean and press, she'll come up great - and Gene Colan art at $8 is a bargain compared to the modern muck at the LCS I picked up yesterday!

Edited by SpidersComics

On 2/3/2024 at 5:47 PM, SpidersComics said:

I'll take this too - with a clean and press, she'll come up great - and Gene Colan art at $8 is a bargain compared to the modern muck at the LCS I picked up yesterday!

New comic book: $5 to 7.00

50 year old, classic Marvel: $8.00

It really makes you wonder. 

:golfclap:

On 2/3/2024 at 2:47 PM, SpidersComics said:

Awesome. Thanks Kind Sir (thumbsu

On 2/3/2024 at 3:48 PM, dover said:

New comic book: $5 to 7.00

50 year old, classic Marvel: $8.00

It really makes you wonder. 

:golfclap:

There are in my opinion some decent books being published today. The problem is you can't just grab 100 books to see what's good. It'll cost you $500 plus tax. In different days you could spend $1.95 and it wouldn't be hard to give something a try. If you like it you come back. But it's been a while since I found a title I liked.

On 2/3/2024 at 5:21 PM, Kramerica said:

There are in my opinion some decent books being published today. The problem is you can't just grab 100 books to see what's good. It'll cost you $500 plus tax. In different days you could spend $1.95 and it wouldn't be hard to give something a try. If you like it you come back. But it's been a while since I found a title I liked.

Well, it's not EXACTLY modern...but if you are looking for a guaranteed great read from what some of us *eh-hem* older folk still consider the "modern era"...there is always Jesse Custer. You CANNOT go wrong there. He did "say it best". Full stop.:cheers:

On 2/3/2024 at 5:36 PM, TheComicsPreacher said:

Well, it's not EXACTLY modern...but if you are looking for a guaranteed great read from what some of us *eh-hem* older folk still consider the "modern era"...there is always Jesse Custer. You CANNOT go wrong there. He did "say it best". Full stop.:cheers:

I now see 1991-2000 as the Tin-Foil Hat Era. I now consider the Modern Era to be 2001 to present for two very big reasons below:

1. 75% of the comic stores in the USA went out of business between 1996-1999 during the crash due to holo foil poor quality bad girl anti-hero image clone artists mutants diecut madness. By 2001 the stores had "reset" and anyone with a good sense of the industry had adapted and were starting small, not speculating and some were working non-comic stuff like Magic into their schedule. All of the sub-quality studios and titles had fallen away) and Marvel and DC had to seriously improve the quality of their books, ditch the die-cut and foil, get rid of the clones, stop trying to showcase hot artists and limit the number of their titles. What came was a renaissance with many titles. Bendis on Daredevil, Morrisson on X-Men, JMS on ASM. A lot had changed and along with a new millennium I came to see this as the "New" Modern Age.

2. Comic Book movies began to bring in readership and popularity. The X-Men and Spider-Man movies along had a lot to do with popularizing comics. Nolan's Batman and Iron Man would follow.

On 2/4/2024 at 12:21 PM, Kramerica said:

Try an Ed Brubaker Reckless graphic novel (5 published, any are good!) - Ed writes a damn fine vigilante character that is easy to get behind...Sean Phillips does art (which is always subjective) but I enjoy his composition, the way he leads the viewers eye through a page and the colour palette is often very clever too (lots of pages done in  a uniform monochromatic choice to add mood. For me it's some of the best modern I've read last year.

On 2/3/2024 at 5:49 PM, Kramerica said:

I now see 1991-2000 as the Tin-Foil Hat Era. I now consider the Modern Era to be 2001 to present for two very big reasons below:

1. 75% of the comic stores in the USA went out of business between 1996-1999 during the crash due to holo foil poor quality bad girl anti-hero image clone artists mutants diecut madness. By 2001 the stores had "reset" and anyone with a good sense of the industry had adapted and were starting small, not speculating and some were working non-comic stuff like Magic into their schedule. All of the sub-quality studios and titles had fallen away) and Marvel and DC had to seriously improve the quality of their books, ditch the die-cut and foil, get rid of the clones, stop trying to showcase hot artists and limit the number of their titles. What came was a renaissance with many titles. Bendis on Daredevil, Morrisson on X-Men, JMS on ASM. A lot had changed and along with a new millennium I came to see this as the "New" Modern Age.

2. Comic Book movies began to bring in readership and popularity. The X-Men and Spider-Man movies along had a lot to do with popularizing comics. Nolan's Batman and Iron Man would follow.

Less proselytizing, more posting books. :sumo: 

On 2/3/2024 at 5:49 PM, Kramerica said:

All makes good sense. I LIKE the way you proselytize. This Preacher says Preach On! But also... post. :) ..the reptile is at least half right...half the time? Maybe

On 2/3/2024 at 6:32 PM, dover said:

:takeit:

premature you know what...,