• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie question: Just what ARE pulps?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Sorry if I am asking a question that has been answered before... I'm just a little confused about what publications can be considered to be pulps. Looked at the Wikipedia page which had a lot of great info. However, the criteria are obviously not the publication dates... Is a 'pulp' solely determined by paper quality? Content? So for example, the following from my collection: Are these pulps? I should add that the paper quality on the following 3 mags is far better than 1930s-50s 'pulps' I own. 

IMG_7258.jpeg

IMG_7268.jpeg

IMG_7276.jpeg

Edited by Fukuoka

Wikipedia says, "The term 'pulp' derives from the cheap wood pulp paper on which the magazines were printed."

I think these are all magazines - the Stag and Saga would be "Men's Adventure" magazines.  A lot of folks on here will know by sight, but you can also look up your books on MyComicShop and identify them that way when there's a question.

On 1/21/2024 at 1:29 PM, Fukuoka said:

As a follow-up, you mentioned 'bedsheets.' Are the following examples of bedsheets? They are a bit larger, thinner than the other pulps I have.

IMG_7179.jpeg

IMG_7176.jpeg

Yeah, I think so.  I don't actually own any of those, but I know it's a revered title among SF enthusiasts.

https://www.pulpmags.org/content/info/wonder-stories.html               <---nice little entry on the mag here

Gernsback definitely has a big place in magazine publishing in the 20s and 30s beyond any one title.

This seems like as good of place as any to link this tool I use for magazines all the time, a little search function that acts as a nice onramp to the Fictionmags magazine indexes:

https://pulpflakes.com/fmisearch/

The gent that made it does the most excellent pulpflakes blog

If you search a magazine, you get to the basic publishing history pretty quickly as well as a cover index (and you can get more details about any specific issue that's been indexed with a little navigation, too).

You can enter an author or artist, too.

On 1/21/2024 at 5:06 AM, Fukuoka said:

Sorry if I am asking a question that has been answered before... I'm just a little confused about what publications can be considered to be pulps. Looked at the Wikipedia page which had a lot of great info. However, the criteria are obviously not the publication dates... Is a 'pulp' solely determined by paper quality? Content? So for example, the following from my collection: Are these pulps? I should add that the paper quality on the following 3 mags is far better than 1930s-50s 'pulps' I own. 

IMG_7258.jpeg

IMG_7268.jpeg

IMG_7276.jpeg

Those mags have some hidden gems inside the pages 

Pulps were periodicals printed on uncoated pulp wood paper. It was a medium that thrived between 1895 and 1950. Pulps specialized in popular fiction, and selling at a price of 25 cents, were more affordable than hard cover books ($3.00 to $6.00). The introduction of comic books and mass market paperbacks in the USA in the mid-to-late 1930s started a competition with pulps, which contributed to their decline. 

True Detective, Stag, Saga, and many more men's adventure titles from the 1950s onward are magazines, not pulps. However, the writing style in many stories in those magazines can be called "pulp fiction." 

Weird Tales, Black Mask, The Shadow, Doc Savage, The All-Story, Astonishing Stories, Adventure, are prime examples of pulps. 

"The magazines above are, in my opinion, pulp magazines.  Just because a story is heralded as "true" doesn't mean they aren't fiction.  Many of the same authors and artists that worked in the pulps worked in the True (detective,confessions, etc.) magazines as well as the Men's Adventure Magazines (sweat mags).  The digests that came after the pulps often get excluded, too, for their size or maybe because of the fact there could be so much reprinted material, but I tend to think of those as pulps as well."

Does "pulp magazine" mean any magazine that is mostly fiction? Is there a difference from a "Pulp Magazine" and a "Fiction Magazine"?

If Stag and Saga are pulps, so are the "True Romance" magazines of the 50s. Even "Woman's Day" and "Family Circle" carried some fiction. Popular Science carried a fiction story fo 18 months back in the late 20s.
The more publications that are grouped into a category, in this case "Pulp Magazine", the weaker the distinction between that category and other categories.

A pulp magazine is best categorized by the nature of the fiction there in.
There are digest-size magazines that are pulps.
But most digest-size magazines that are all-fiction, or nearly so, are Digests.

Originally, most digest-sized magazines were pulps in a smaller, "more modern" format.
But over time, the nature of the fiction gradually changed to the point where one can easily tell there has been a change.
Over time there was an "evolutionary change". Pulps evolved into Digests.

It is not the paper. Some early pulps were printed on very nice paper, paper much better than "pulp paper".
Canadian pulps were printed on pulp paper, but a much nicer grade of pulp paper.

It is not the cover price. Some publishers toyed with nickel pulps. Annuals or "quarterly reissues" cost 50 cents.

It is not the authors. Authors gonna auth. Editorial requirements changed. Authors had to change their style to sell their work.

The readers changed what they wanted to read.