• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor City Comic Con - Novi MI - May 17-19 2024

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Comic Guest List:

TOM KING

LEE WEEKS

DAN PARENT

JOE RUBINSTEIN

DAVE AIKINS

ANDY BENNETT

ROBERT BRUNO

JIM CALAFIORE

CHRIS CAMPANA

NARCISO ESPIRITU

TONY FLEECS

JAY FOSGITT

MITCH GERADS

DANIEL GOVAR

CLAUDIA GRAY

CULLY HAMNER

CORY HAMSCHER

DEAN HASPIEL

MEGAN HUTCHISON

JAY LEISTEN

ANTHONY MARQUES

EDGARDO MIRANDA-RODRIGUEZ

MIKE NORTON

JONATHAN RAND

TONE RODRIGUEZ

MARCO RUDY

JOSEPH SCHMALKE

BART SEARS

GAVIN SMITH

K LYNN SMITH

MAIKA SOZO

TJ STERLING

BILLY TUCCI

Edited by SkOw

Media Guest List:

CHARLIE HUNNAM

HELEN HUNT

HAYDEN PANETTIERE

KATEE SACKHOFF

WILLIAM SHATNER

KAREN ALLEN

GREG BALDWIN

DANTE BASCO

SOFIA BOUTELLA

DENISE CROSBY

FELICIA DAY

GREY DELISLE-GRIFFIN

STEVE DOWNES

GIANCARLO ESPOSITO

HEATHER GRAHAM

BRUCE GREENWOOD

CARLA GUGINO

ERNIE HUDSON

AMY JO JOHNSON

SIMON KASSIANIDES

TOM KENNY

CHRISTIAN KEYES

PAUL SUN-HYUNG LEE

ZACHARY LEVI

LEX LUGER

GATES MCFADDEN

SHAMEIK MOORE

JENNIFER MORRISON

RON PERLMAN

EFREN RAMIREZ

JOHN RATZENBERGER

KATEY SAGAL

RON SIMMONS

IAN SINCLAIR

JEN TAYLOR

CRISTINA VEE

GEORGE WENDT

TOM WILSON

COBIE SMULDERS

I think I've only missed one in the last 30 years but this will be #2. I'll be out of town.

That said, I still go but it's such a shadow of its former self comic-wise. Few big players there except Harley. I miss when it was a bigger deal. Good celebrity list though. (Not my thing)

On 5/5/2024 at 10:50 AM, Shadow said:

I think I've only missed one in the last 30 years but this will be #2. I'll be out of town.

That said, I still go but it's such a shadow of its former self comic-wise. Few big players there except Harley. I miss when it was a bigger deal. Good celebrity list though. (Not my thing)

I went for about 5 years in a row but it's been a couple since I was back.  Booth fees must have gone up and the smaller guys just were not showing up and there wasn't as much comics in the room as Baltimore or Heroes (and I only get 1 big travel con a year)

On 5/6/2024 at 2:59 PM, Ron C. said:

Is anyone facilitating this show?

Yes - I can't remember their name, but there is a CGC faciliator in booth 145 (by the artist alley) as per the promoter.

I may go if CGC is doing on-site grading. If not, I will probably skip it. I went to the 1st one in the Renaissance Center in 1988, and I went to the 2001 show. Those are the only two I've been to. Chris Foss and Ed Jaster were the only two dealers at the 2001 show with any high-grade GA material. (I bought a Mile High Wow from Ed.)

There is so much good material available in the online auctions now that it's hard to get excited about a convention. I was planning to go a couple of years ago, but then I found out that admission was $35, and I almost had a coronary.

Adam West is the only guest I remember from '01. I didn't stand in line to get his autograph, but I saw him in the men's room. (He was 72, apparently, but he didn't look it; he could have passed for 52.)

On 5/10/2024 at 6:34 PM, Ron C. said:

I was hoping to get a Karen Allen sig on a book, but no one I know of seems to be facilitating. 

I was told by the promoter that a CGC faciliator will be in booth 145.  The location isn't there yet, but the CGC rep with a link to the CGC Comics website is on the list of vendors now:

https://motorcitycomiccon.com/exhibitors/2024-vendors/

On 5/15/2024 at 8:08 AM, SkOw said:

I was told by the promoter that a CGC faciliator will be in booth 145.  The location isn't there yet, but the CGC rep with a link to the CGC Comics website is on the list of vendors now:

https://motorcitycomiccon.com/exhibitors/2024-vendors/

Sorry, I was hoping to send a book to a facilitator. Thank you though.

This is Todd Lange’s show preview. For those who don’t know, he is the best dealer in west Michigan and is know. For extremely tight grading and low prices on eBay as zillaf4.  He has been holding some of this stuff a long time. I spoke to him yesterday and I don’t think this video does it justice.  Your first stop should be at his booth.  It will be a four booth island towards the middle of the floor. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/255aCaRuxog6vhbH/?mibextid=oFDknk

I took the kids this weekend and hate to admit it, but I was kind of disappointed. There were maybe a handful of comic dealers and not even many cards. I managed to grab a stack of readers and one GA Action. It's just not the same as in years past. I started going back in the 90s and then restarted attending a few years ago when we moved back to MI. I'm glad there's more for everyone, but it's not really a "comic" centric con. Between that and the exorbitant prices for sigs, I don't know that we'll go back. I talked to my LCS owner, and he said the booth prices are crazy high. We might try Cherry Capital in Traverse or Capital City in Lansing instead. Anyone been to those?