• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just noticed my slabbed comics are wavy
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I was rearranging my display the other day and noticed several comics I have in CGC slabs looked a little wavy. I usually keep the room dark but when doing the rearranging I had it pretty well lit and noticed them. All of the comics that were wavy were all clean/pressed by CGC's in house presser (CCS). When I found these comics I knew very little about the clean/pressing process (I am mostly a card collector) so I thought it made sense to use CGC's presser for that part of the process. Is this waviness something common? Is this something that can be fixed? Is this something that can permanently damage the book? I'm really not sure what to do because all of the comics are graded well (Silver Surfer 1 in a 5.5, Silver Surfer 3 in a 6.5, Silver Surfer 4 in a 7.5 and Spawn 1 Newsstand 9.6) but now that I've seen the waviness I can't unsee it. Some advice/knowledge from people who are much smarter about this than I am would be great! Thanks!

This isn't a rare occurrence. I've seen plenty of wavy comics, even in high grade. Pictures would be very helpful, but generally speaking waviness can be caused by a variety of different factors. Some of the problems can be caused by improper pressing, exposure to moisture or humidity, or from books being placed in wells that are too small (the inner well of the CGC holder). A good presser can usually reduce or eliminate waviness, and there's at least one guy here that has a great reputation with these types of issues (see above).  

On 1/24/2024 at 11:03 AM, The Lions Den said:

This isn't a rare occurrence. I've seen plenty of wavy comics, even in high grade. Pictures would be very helpful, but generally speaking waviness can be caused by a variety of different factors. Some of the problems can be caused by improper pressing, exposure to moisture or humidity, or from books being placed in wells that are too small (the inner well of the CGC holder). A good presser can usually reduce or eliminate waviness, and there's at least one guy here that has a great reputation with these types of issues (see above).  

Yeah, from the limited research I've done (aka googled things lol) it seems to be a pressing issue, which really sucks since its CGC's presser doing it. I wish I knew more about grading when I submitted them, but, with the exception of the spawn (which was in my collection from the 90s), they were all found in my late father-in-laws office with a pile of magazines so we just wanted to have them protected.

On 1/24/2024 at 11:17 AM, joeypost said:

Based on many years of experience it is usually the inner well. There are cases where it is a poor press job, but that can be determined better by pictures. 

I will definitely get some pics up tonight when I am home from the office. Thanks so much for being willing to help. I gotta say, my limited time looking at comic content on youtube and interacting with people about comics on threads it really does seem like a much nicer community than trading cards haha

On 1/24/2024 at 11:17 AM, joeypost said:

Based on many years of experience it is usually the inner well. There are cases where it is a poor press job, but that can be determined better by pictures. 

Yep.

I cracked a wavy 9.8 because it was driving me nuts.

I just had to see what was going on inside.

The inner well was making it wavy.

After I cracked it out, the book laid perfectly flat.

It wasnt in the slab more than a few months though...not sure what the long term situation would be.

Years ago I received a wavy slabbed book in the post from the US. The condition of the book was quite alarming at first. It was caused by the inner well/holder being bowed. I got it reholdered and it came back flat.  2c

On 1/24/2024 at 4:27 PM, mrc said:

Years ago I received a wavy slabbed book in the post from the US. The condition of the book was quite alarming at first. It was caused by the inner well/holder being bowed. I got it reholdered and it came back flat.  2c

Check the pic I just posted...was yours wavy like that? It sucks having to pay to have them reholdered then wait for them to come back! haha

On 1/24/2024 at 3:48 PM, Gavin Crawford said:

I noticed that with this book I just got back, too.  It wasn't wavy when it was submitted, and I also had it pressed.

did you have it pressed with CGC's presser?

On 1/24/2024 at 9:58 PM, joeday17821 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.fa9f8e8a55b45cbc1ce12dae06f43052.jpeg

This was the only one I could get a good-ish picture of...but this one, SS1 and SS4 are all like this. Weirdly SS3 doesnt seem to be. 

From what I can see, this appears to be relatively minor...   

On 1/25/2024 at 12:19 PM, The Lions Den said:

From what I can see, this appears to be relatively minor...   

It's something you can see much better in person, under better light. It honestly probably is minor but still annoys me lol

On 1/25/2024 at 1:16 PM, lostboys said:

That would bother me...looks more like a finger bend than a "wave".

I have serious OCD though.

thats just the best picture I have...it goes all the way across the top of the comic (and a couple of the others I have)

PS I Have serious OCD too lol

Edited by joeday17821

On 1/25/2024 at 1:34 PM, joeday17821 said:

thats just the best picture I have...it goes all the way across the top of the comic (and a couple of the others I have)

PS I Have serious OCD too lol

I wouldnt worry unless it bothers you to the point that you cant enjoy owning the book.

You could simply sell it on Ebay and buy another copy.

It will cost you a little but at least youll be able to sleep comfortably with visions of a perfect Spawn 1 dancing in your head.

Ive done it...

i sold my Hulk 340 CGC 9.6 because it looked more like a 9.2 to me...I couldnt sleep.

It cost me like $50 in the end but I now have a beautiful Hulk 340 CGC 9.6 and I sleep like a baby.