• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strategies for "wrestling" a piece away from another collector.......

29 posts in this topic

I've been interested in getting into Original art for a couple of years now, but haven't really taken any major plunge, or picked up any significant pieces. I'm trying to follow advice posted here, and not jump into anything. I'm also trying to be VERY selective and I'm only going to try to get a few select pieces that I really like.

Basically, I'm in an all too common predicament regarding an OA piece. I'm not going to say what the piece is, or who has it, but there's a cover I REALLY want, and it's in the hands of a die-hard collector. This guy's entire collection is centered around a certain character, and this piece is a KILLER example of that character. He's a fanatic. I haven't contacted him yet, and I'm really trying to figure out the best way to approach the situation. I've heard him make comments on this piece on a message board, and it just dosen't look good. This is a modern cover, not what some of you would consider a "grail", but it's one I definetly want.

I'm sure many of you serious collectors have been in this position, so I'm looking to hear some "war stories" about wrestling that grail piece away from another collector, and any suggestions/strategies you might have.

You could always email him to start the conversation.

I really want some pages from the original G.I.Joe 27 for personal reasons. I was speaking to someone that collects Joe art and he has 5 pages from that issue but wanted ridiculous money for them like 7-8 times FMV. I had to pass on them at that price however it was comforting to know that if I -really- wanted a page that I could've, had I wanted to spend that kind of money.

You never know.

I'm also in the same scenario with someone on CAF that has 7-8 pages from one issue of a Barry Windsor Smith comic. I really want one of those pages (any one) but have yet to email him. I will one day though.

I typed all of this and then realized that I didn't really offer any help to your post. Sorry.

It does help to hear of others in a similar situation. I know most OA collectors must be experiencing something similar most of the time. Unless you've got unlimited cash to throw around, it's bound to happen. frustrated.gif

COI,

By just locating who has the piece you have got the hardest part out of the way.

I, too, have my eye on a couple of pieces on CAF. After I complete some transactions I am in right now my strategy will be this:

1) Get an idea of the FMV for the particular piece

2) Get that amount of cash plus some and make an offer a little above FMV/What I estimate he paid for it. Since it is a modern piece it hasn't traded hands that often, so I should be able to guess fairly accurately.

3) Wait for a reply.

A collector may not want to let a piece go, but if another of Thier grails comes up and they need cash, at least you have already established contact/interest. I've noticed quite a few comments on pieces saying, "when you want to sell, I'm here'

Mike popcorn.gif

Bottom-line, be honest with them. Send an email, tell him it's your grail. Find out if he/she is willing to part with the item. If not, find out if they are willing to listen to "stoopid money" offers. If yes, empty the piggybank. If not, find out if they have a grail. If yes, try to find it for them and then do a trade or cash/trade deal. Best of luck, it ain't easy.

The easiest way to pry something out of a collection is by using the "silver pick".... money, my friend. Everything has it's price. If you offer enough, you can get a kidney, too.

I have stuff in my collection that I claim that I'll never sell. But if you throw enough money at me....

Hi,

With prices the way they are these days, you are wise to wait and spend on the items that you truly desire. It is easier said than done, in a hobby composed of compulsive collectors!

As others have noted, the hardest part is finding that particular piece that you're looking for. If you know where it is, then the most direct route is the best strategy. Let the person know immediately that they have your "Grail". Keep in mind, however, that many people say this, get the art, and then trade/sell it soon thereafter. So, just saying it's your "Grail" really usually doesn't hold much water. Ask whether it's for sale. If not, make an offer anyway and walk away, with a reminder to let you know if he/she should decide to part with it in the future. Make sure your offer is significantly above market value (20% at a minimum). This shows the person you're serious, and that you're willing to "overpay" because it's something you really want. Who knows? They may go for it. For all you know, they've found something they really want, and are looking to move something to raise cash.

If they say 'no', make sure to send an email to said person every six months or so, to gently remind them of your continued interest. But, don't be pushy. Some items I have wrestled from others over the course of as long as three years. Persistence shows (1) that you really want it, (2) it's not a fleeting infatuation, and (3) you're likely to keep it for a long time. Others are often willing to sell an item to an individual who has demonstrated a long track record of desiring a particular piece. There's nothing worse than selling something you love, and then having that person flip it without a second thought.

Sometimes, I've just sent out a "crazy" offer. I've attained some pieces this way. In other words, offer cash/trade of 6K for a 1K piece. By doing this, you tell the owner that you really want it, you can't resell for a profit, and the present owner may never get that sort of offer again, so they should at least consider it. And, more importantly, they'll definitely contact you in the future even if they say 'no' initially. You have to really love the particular piece of art, and really not care about losing money on it, to use this maneuver. But it works.

Finally, another tactic that works is to find out what the other person's Grail is. Find it, get is somehow, and offer it in trade. Before you acquire it, though, make sure you let the owner know that you might get his Grail piece, and make sure he/she will do the trade after you get it. I've seen people get burned this way, so you have to be careful. But, again, it works.

Off the top of my head, those are some tactics that I use or have seen used effectively. Feel free to PM me with specific questions, if you so desire.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby!

Best,

Eveyone has a price. Some are higher than others. Some are numbers only Bill Gates could afford. Good luck with your piece.

At the very least, contact the collector, let them know you are interested in the piece, and follow the advice you've gotten regarding making an offer. If you aren't prepared to make a crazy offer, let him know you are very interested in the piece and should he ever need to raise cash for a grail, to please let you know. I did this with one of the pieces I now own. I emailed the owner, gushed over the piece (I meant every word and he knew it) and lo and behold, about a year later I got an email from him asking if I was still interested in the piece. The end result is that I now own it -- happily.

So it never hurts to let them know you're interested and/or make an offer. Worst case scenario is they say they aren't interested in selling it. Best case scenario is you may end up the proud owner.

Good luck!!

I have the same advice as most people here, just go ahead and email the owner, the worse he can do is say no.

I just recently contacted someone from CAF, and asked him about a few Captain America covers. He basically emailed me back with prices, told me that a couple of covers were not for sale because they were presents from his fiance, but I was able to get a couple of pieces from him, even if they were listed as not for sale...

Just ask! smile.gif I would personally ask them first if they'd be willing to sell, and for what price. If that is not successful, then at that point make an offer. You don't want to make a first offer that will get things started on the wrong foot.

In some cases, it's good to just know something about the collector in question. If you get a feel for someone's collecting habits/attitude, you can sometimes tell whether or not it's worth the effort. At least one collector comes to mind who just has absolutely no desire to trade/sell under any circumstances, and doesn't seem to understand/comprehend the gut-wrenching desire for one's grail. Most collectors, though, can identify and empathize with this all-consuming NEED for a piece of art...and whether or not it's listed for sale in their gallery, they'll consider parting with it if they think you'll get more enjoyment out of it than they will.

Generally speaking, there are three categories of collectors when it comes to grails...

Type 1.) Understand one's desire for a "grail" piece, and will be willing to part with the piece at a reasonable price, in order to help another collector achieve nirvana, assuming no serious attachment on their part. Good karma for everyone.

Type 2.) Understand one's desired for a "grail" piece, and see your intense desire as an opportunity to gouge the living [embarrassing lack of self control] out of your wallet. One of the nasty side-effects of collecting OOAK items. At the very least, you'll learn how much the piece is truly worth to you. At least the piece is available...at a price. For this reason alone, it might be worthwhile to "play it cool", at least in the first few e-mails...

Type 3.) Simply have no intention to trade or sell a thing...ever. At least, in this situation, you can just give up on it, and not lose any more sleep over it. And, luckily, 95% of collectors fall into category 1 or 2.

but there's a cover I REALLY want, and it's in the hands of a die-hard collector. This guy's entire collection is centered around a certain character, and this piece is a KILLER example of that character. He's a fanatic. I haven't contacted him yet, and I'm really trying to figure out the best way to approach the situation. I've heard him make comments on this piece on a message board, and it just dosen't look good.

I agree with Hari; telling someone a piece is your "grail" holds little meaning. I think the term "grail" has been so diluted by our collecting brethren that if someone (who I didn't know well) wrote me about one of my pieces that was their "grail" I would be immediately skeptical. yeahok.gif

Money talks and bull$%#* walks. Under the circumstances Capsofindustry has presented, the only way he's going to get that piece is with a big offer, much more than market price. The owner in question is a die-hard "fanatic," collects one character and the piece is a great example of that character plus the guy even talks about the piece on message boards. Um, am I getting the impression that maybe this guy likes this piece as much as Capsofindustry? wink.gif I think it's fair to assume that the piece is not for sale and the owner is not 'soliciting' offers or anything of the sort. If so then an offer that is "a little above FMV/What you estimate he paid for it" as MrNotSoNiceoffer suggested would be laughable to this guy. Why would he be persuaded to sell?

Lamb

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=178

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/eu0y

Andrew,

I am happy to hear this ! acclaim.gif

I agree with what everyone is saying here. What i would do after you get past the intial advice that was given is stay in touch with the collector. If you make an offer, he rejects it and you think that is that....every few months, email the guy and just say hello...and that you are still interested....sometimes it's just timing and you might catch him at a time that he needs to sell something and you happen to have cash in hand.....I have done it. Patience and being in touch can reward you......

Best of luck,

Mike

I'm sure many of you serious collectors have been in this position, so I'm looking to hear some "war stories" about wrestling that grail piece away from another collector, and any suggestions/strategies you might have

Everything is for sale.....just a question what that price is....

Thanks a lot guys. Some good advice here, and I'm definetly going to take it all into consideration before I make a move.

Hari and Mike, PM's are on the way.

Under the circumstances Capsofindustry has presented, the only way he's going to get that piece is with a big offer, much more than market price. The owner in question is a die-hard "fanatic," collects one character and the piece is a great example of that character plus the guy even talks about the piece on message boards. Um, am I getting the impression that maybe this guy likes this piece as much as Capsofindustry?

Actually, he probably likes it even MORE than I do, and this is a cover that I remember from my early childhood(ok, so it's not THAT recent of a cover tongue.gif). I think I'm te-out-of-luck. 27_laughing.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Under the circumstances Capsofindustry has presented, the only way he's going to get that piece is with a big offer, much more than market price. The owner in question is a die-hard "fanatic," collects one character and the piece is a great example of that character plus the guy even talks about the piece on message boards. Um, am I getting the impression that maybe this guy likes this piece as much as Capsofindustry?

Actually, he probably likes it even MORE than I do, and this is a cover that I remember from my early childhood(ok, so it's not THAT recent of a cover tongue.gif). I think I'm te-out-of-luck. 27_laughing.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

There is a well known Keown collector on the CAF and I haven't been able to get one piece, any piece, out of him for 2 years.....I know the feeling.....

pm sent....