• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 8 Regrading Opinion/Advice
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi.  I am looking for some advice and opinions.  I bought a 5.0 Avengers 8 recently because I thought it showed well for the grade.  I was wondering if it would be worth having it cracked open to clean, press and resubmit.  Grader notes below and pictures for reference.  Does anyone think it would be worth it and a candidate for a grade bump?  I am fairly new to this and would appreciate the help.

notes:

moderate spine stress lines to cover
moderate staining to cover
moderate wear to cover
rippling to cover

IMG_0864.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

IMG_0886.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

IMG_0882.jpeg

IMG_0880.jpeg

IMG_0881.jpeg

IMG_0879.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg

IMG_0868.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg

IMG_0877.jpeg

A clean and press will not help with: moderate spine stress lines to cover
A clean might help with: moderate staining to cover
A clean and press will not help with: moderate wear to cover
A clean and press will likely help with: rippling to cover

So there's an investment there in C&P costs and regrading but any significant grade bump would probably cover that.  It's a risk.

Ok.  Thanks.  If it matters, this is for my personal collection to keep and not intending to sell anytime soon.  There are some fairly large newton rings on the cover, so I might at some point be sending it back in to get re-slabbed either way which got me thinking about having it cracked open to clean and press with a regrade vs just re-slabbing.

On 1/27/2024 at 2:00 PM, DanJD said:

Ok.  Thanks.  If it matters, this is for my personal collection to keep and not intending to sell anytime soon.  There are some fairly large newton rings on the cover, so I might at some point be sending it back in to get re-slabbed either way which got me thinking about having it cracked open to clean and press with a regrade vs just re-slabbing.

If you are planning to re-slab it anyway the cost difference between that and a straight up regrade may make it worth the gamble. IMO any grade bump would be really modest but why not give it a whirl if you are going through the resub process anyway. 

The added factor I would toss into the mix is the book is dropping in value. It may be worth waiting until it flattens out or drops into a lower grading tier before doing a re-sub. If you wait to see if it drops into the 400s instead of 500s you may get away with the Vintage tier which is $40 instead of $85. Of course that may not happen, but since it is for your PC there is probably no big rush. 

I appreciate all the info.  I could be wrong, but I assume the spine stress lines have the biggest negative impact on the grade.  With stress lines pictured, what would be a top grade I could expect out of a book assuming the staining and other creases are improved.  I chose this one because it seemed to not have other tears or major creases on the face of the cover.  I saw the grader notes, but did not see the extent of spine stress until it arrived.  All my other books I have collected have been 9.2-9.8.  This was my first book in a mid/lower grade.  Thanks again!

Not sure how much a CPR job costs, but if you add in shipping charges - is it worth it?

Using GPA, a 5.0 sold recently for $567. A 6.0 also sold this month for $725. That's $158 more for a full point grade bump. How does that compare to the CPR job cost and the associated shipping risk?

It's a nice presenting book either way.

-bc

Imo its worth it to take a shot. The book looks good for the grade a regrade doing nothing might get a better grade. I recently got a hulk 180 cgc 5.5 with similar grader notes i cracked it and with a clean and press got a 7.5 so I think its possible to get up to 2 more points on this book.

On 1/27/2024 at 1:57 PM, DanJD said:

but I assume the spine stress lines have the biggest negative impact on the grade.

I think the staining and wear probably had the biggest impact.  CGC really, really hates stains.  Spine stress lines are so common that you routinely see them in all the high CGC grades, fewer and fewer as the grade increases, of course.

Edit: Also, that long, vertical crease along the spine in the purple box probably had a big impact, too.  That would probably be classified as a reader's crease, not spine stress lines, which are horizontal.

Edited by Tom789

On 1/27/2024 at 7:51 PM, DanJD said:

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  How often can “staining” be improved by a cleaning without it being a restore?

depends on the nature of the staining. If it is something that is surface only that can be removed then it can be improved.