• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The cartoonist who transformed pop culture

4 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2024 at 5:04 AM, Unca Ben said:

My favorite comics are silver-age Marvel, Shooter-era Valiant, EC comics and … Barks' duck books.

Great video about one of my favorite comic creators.

I second the recommendation. This is really well done. After I watched it, I realised that I've been a Barks fan for over 50 years and this was the first time I'd heard him speak.

I also had never heard his voice; it's great that he was really driven to create those stories and genuinely seemed like a nice guy as well.  By the time I was collecting he was deservedly well-known.  I came to read multiple stories about him in the CBG (I particularly remember some by Mark Evanier), but especially in the Rocket's Blast Comic Collector where a young Don Rosa would glowingly mention him all the time in his "Information Center" (along with his favorite TV show, "The Prisoner," which caused me to seek out and view all the episodes by hook or by crook, but that's another story).  I remember Rosa expressed a desire more than once to one day get the chance to write and draw some Duck comics like Barks, especially Uncle Scrooge.  It was great as a fanzine contributor (and vicariously for myself as a reader) that he was able to get that chance and perform spectacularly.