• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8? Really?
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I’m just curious. I bought this CGC 9.8 white pages Daredevil #160 off of e-Bay the other day and I’m really wondering how it could have possibly received the grade of 9.8. Numerous spine ticks, pretty good wear on the upper left hand corner, and pretty severe wear around the staples. The book has definitely been around the block a few times. My question is, how does a newly printed comic with absolutely no noticeable flaws receive a grade of 9.8 while this comic with more flaws than I care to mention can also receive a grade of 9.8? Isn’t 9.8 more or less a mint comic? This Daredevil #160 is not mint. I have comics that have graded around 9.0 and 9.2 that look far more nicer than this 9.8. Are the graders at CGC receiving proper training prior to letting them grade comics?IMG_5311.thumb.jpeg.8560dd327a9c7e910fc13e6cb20ee4b7.jpeg

I am going to return the comic to the eBay seller who sold it to me. I explained to them that it is not their fault and if they are the ones who had it graded, they should contact CGC and have them explain how a comic book with so many flaws could possibly receive a grade of 9.8. It's absolutely unacceptable on the part of CGC. If someone like me can spot all of these flaws, then how can a "trained" grader working for CGC give this book a grade of 9.8. I have pretty much lost all confidence in CGC. If they can give a comic with so many flaws a more or less perfect grade of 9.8, then I have to wonder what other weird stuff is going on over there. I have books graded at 9.0 and 9.2 that look far superior in condition than this 9.8.