• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NBA 75th Anniversary Team card set
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I noticed today an established "NBA 75th Anniversary Team" card set in the CGC Registry. I'm really pleased to see this, though I noticed it only has 62 players in the set (when the 75th Anniversary Team was of 76 players; the 50 players selected for the 50th Anniversary, plus 26 new/more recent ones including 11 current players).

I also believe that ANY graded card featuring any one of those 76 players should be admissible into this set; it should be set for EVERYONE to collect in. If this is indeed the intention, do we simply request the addition of cards that we wish to see added in the normal way?

Regards

Stephwn

• Administrator

Hello Stephen, 

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback.  The remaining rookie cards from those 13 players are from sets we currently do not grade. Namely, 1969-70 Topps and 1970-71 Topps.  These cards do not fit in our holder and we would not include player cards we cannot grade.

This set structure includes one rookie card from each player and no additions or changes will be made to the set.

On 1/30/2024 at 2:35 PM, Maribeth said:

Hello Stephen, 

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback.  The remaining rookie cards from those 13 players are from sets we currently do not grade. Namely, 1969-70 Topps and 1970-71 Topps.  These cards do not fit in our holder and we would not include player cards we cannot grade.

This set structure includes one rookie card from each player and no additions or changes will be made to the set.

Hi Maribeth,

Thank you for your reply, and noted. I see others asking about "over-size slabs for tallboy cards" such as 1969-70 Topps and 1970-71 Topps, and perhaps CGC will think about this as a new product for the future.

However, WHO makes current decisions about Registry card sets? As you know, I am a new collector of CSG/CGC graded cards after having collected CGC graded comics for rather longer. I completely accept that I am a novice, but I am trying to learn. I keep coming across decisions that (to me at least) make no sense, such as the recent two I have raised:

1. NBA season MVPs without a slot in the Registry (and you told me that this extends beyond basketball to other sports too). I think this is an OBVIOUS reason for inclusion in the Registry, and the decision to exclude the five players I have requested should be reviewed.

2. The 75th Anniversary team represents the best 76 players in the history of the BAA/NBA, yet there are only 62 slots in the Registry (you have told me why). As I said, I think that this set is an excellent set for all NBA collectors to collect into, yet currently only (often expensive to acquire) Rookie Cards are included in the set. WHO decided that? I'm sure there is a reason for the decision. Can we have a different (a second) 75th Anniversary Set with slots for ALL cards from the 76 selected players. I'm sure all collectors (customers) would enjoy that set. Certainly I would.

If decisions like these seem incorrect, to whom can a paying member appeal?

Regards

Stephen 

• Administrator

Stephen, 

As previous emailed, we have not purposefully excluded basketball MVP players from the CGC Cards Registry.  If a player set cannot be created due not meeting the minimum requirements for set structure, those players may find placement in company sets if available.  After reviewing your inventory for those 5 MVP players you feel have been excluded, they all have placement in the registry whether in a player or company set.

As with any Key Card set, such as the NBA 75th Anniversary set, only one specific card for each player is needed to complete the set.  As I am sure you are aware with comics, there are sets which only one specific book is eligible for a slot.

• Administrator
On 2/6/2024 at 1:33 PM, Scottish Punk said:

Did this 75th anniversary team set go away?  I can't seem to find it.  I only see Olympic sets under Teams sets and don't see it under rookie sets either.

Hello, 

You can find the set here under 21st Century Company Sets.