• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crime and Punishment 2: Looking for the CT
2 2

10 posts in this topic

I bought this book with the following notes: Color touch, cover oxidation, tape on interior cover. I bought it partially to help me recognize color touch on a GA book but I'm not seeing it. At least I'm not 100% sure I'm seeing it. Yes, I know, I need a black light to improve detection but guess who thought CT on the black part of this cover would be easy?

Any thoughts? I have added pics of the areas I suspect may contain CT.  The ink spot over the "I" in "BIG" on the interior cover is about the "NI" in "Punishment" on the front. That ink spot is consistent with other dark ink on the interior of the cover but is the only ink spot that matches black on the front cover. The red is glossier than everything else, which is really throwing me off if that CT is around "Punishment." I'm happy to post other pics of the book if anyone thinks it will help.

20240203_131919.jpg

20240203_133254.jpg

20240203_133452.jpg

20240203_133536.jpg

20240203_140214.jpg

Edited by jas1vans

On 2/5/2024 at 3:40 PM, rjpb said:

Hard to tell from these photos. A black light would probably help find c.t.

The marks under Punishment look more like scratches than c.t. In general blacks are the most likely area to be touched up by an amatueur, and the more often at the corners and spine than elsewhere.

I was trying to highlight where the red and black ink meet. When I first got the book, I thought it was just marker making a cleaner line. It seems to be the red ink on top of black ink instead. Looking at other copies, there is the same uneven blob of ink under the "P."

Looking around for a blacklight, I'd like to find out where this CT really is.

UV light is unreliable for detecting color touch. The best detection tool is your eyes and bright natural light.

Color touch will be where there are creases that break color. So the highest likelihood is along the spine or open edges -- not in the center of the cover. Look closely along the spine for rough spots/breaks in the surface of the paper that do not break color... that will be your color touch. You can also use your fingers to feel for a rough spot where the surface of the paper was broken.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:41 PM, buttock said:

Is that black bleedthrough under the tape at the bottom edge? 

There doesn't seem to be black on the opposite side, but there is a suspicious looking spot that seems to correlate. Maybe it's green?

Annotation2024-02-07141741.png.d5457d59fc4227528b43e1b17d0ebf9f.png

On 2/6/2024 at 9:41 PM, buttock said:

Is that black bleedthrough under the tape at the bottom edge? 

On 2/7/2024 at 1:19 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

There doesn't seem to be black on the opposite side, but there is a suspicious looking spot that seems to correlate. Maybe it's green?

That is 100% the CT spot.

I was driving myself nuts with the ink around "Punishment" and on the inside cover that I didn't even pay attention to those HIDDEN GREEN DOTS on the bottom of the inside cover.:facepalm:

20240207_134017.jpg

20240207_134028.jpg

On 2/7/2024 at 2:47 PM, jas1vans said:

That is 100% the CT spot.

I was driving myself nuts with the ink around "Punishment" and on the inside cover that I didn't even pay attention to those HIDDEN GREEN DOTS on the bottom of the inside cover.:facepalm:

20240207_134017.jpg

20240207_134028.jpg

Regardless of who looked at it previously, whenever you find one area of color touch it's often a good idea to look for additional color touch and other signs of restoration...  

On 2/7/2024 at 9:16 PM, The Lions Den said:

Regardless of who looked at it previously, whenever you find one area of color touch it's often a good idea to look for additional color touch and other signs of restoration...  

I got it from an MCS auction so I was pretty sure it was there. I just need to shut my brain off when I'm trying to do something new.

I'm guessing the red ink was printed after the black. It reflected like other CT I have been able to find, pen fill-in, marker. That uneven line, the sheen of that red ink on black, I thought for sure that's where it was going to be. I was so certain I knew where it was that I didn't even bother to look elsewhere. Great lesson to learn though!

On 2/8/2024 at 8:42 AM, jas1vans said:

I got it from an MCS auction so I was pretty sure it was there. I just need to shut my brain off when I'm trying to do something new.

I'm guessing the red ink was printed after the black. It reflected like other CT I have been able to find, pen fill-in, marker. That uneven line, the sheen of that red ink on black, I thought for sure that's where it was going to be. I was so certain I knew where it was that I didn't even bother to look elsewhere. Great lesson to learn though!

I just meant that sometimes there will be other forms of restoration on a book with color touch. It may be confined to one small area, but it could also be just the tip of the iceberg... hm