• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN VICTORY AND THE GALACTIC RANGERS

20 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2024 at 7:55 PM, shadroch said:

You may have the only complete run of that series, 

, Thanks!...There seems to be very little interest in what I see as a very good series both in art and story.

I'm not a fan of Kirby's later work and have only dim memories of this series. It wasn't widely distributed in the NY area, as few comic shops sold new books.  I've never seen much interest in it, so you are lucky to enjoy a series few others have yet to discover.  It keeps the price down. It's too bad there are only a dozen or so issues.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:55 PM, shadroch said:

You may have the only complete run of that series, 

I might have two full runs. I know I have a full run. Used to have this;

IMG_0759.thumb.jpeg.f67f0da75eae1c56b4def1064690dbb5.jpeg
I enjoyed the series, but it was hit and miss with me. Some great images, tho!

Did someone say Captain Victory? I have the full Pacific Comics run of 13 issues plus 1 Annual. Also have the re-jiggered version that his grandson put out (2 issues), and the "Graphite Edition" (B/W shot straight from the pencils, no inks) released by TwoMorrows. It's a fun read and I always enjoy Kirby comics, but I don't think it's his best and his health was interfering with his drawing by this point.

CV1JK.jpg

CV2JK.jpg

CVGE.jpg

I collected this one when it first came out, and liked it…  I remember when I got a 98% on my final high school English exam, in part for an on-the-spur-of-the-moment essay where I quoted “contemporary writer Jack Kirby” with the aphorism “victory is sacrifice” from this series.

I’m pretty sure Mrs. Wakelin, my English teacher, would have failed me if she knew I was quoting comic books on the final…

On 2/5/2024 at 4:46 PM, Marty Mann said:

While going through some boxes of my CIRCLE COMICS COLLECTION, I ran across the full run of 14 issues of JACK KIRBY'S

CAPTAIN VICTORY AND THE GALACTIC RANGERS. I had almost forgotten what  a good series this was.

IMG    CAPTAIN VICTORY #1   (200 dpi)     .jpg

Nice Kirby cover I had never looked at before👍‼️

On 2/10/2024 at 10:07 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Nice Kirby cover I had never looked at before👍‼️

If you get a chance take a look at the other covers  they are all really interesting

On 2/9/2024 at 7:11 PM, KirbyJack said:

I know I saw the graphite edition, but I l’ll have to go through my stuff.

I forget what I got.

I have a full run, plus the two grandson issues, but no graphite. I found a full set of the sister title, Silver Star (Darius Drumm!).

IMG_2933.thumb.jpeg.a55b0446112d444d0052c223ea829d70.jpeg

I also discovered that my Destroyer Duck #1 is gone. I love replacing former quarter box books at “it’s a key now” prices.

On 2/11/2024 at 1:40 PM, KirbyJack said:

I have a full run, plus the two grandson issues, but no graphite. I found a full set of the sister title, Silver Star (Darius Drumm!).

IMG_2933.thumb.jpeg.a55b0446112d444d0052c223ea829d70.jpeg

I also discovered that my Destroyer Duck #1 is gone. I love replacing former quarter box books at “it’s a key now” prices.

I have all those, too, and still need to read them! TwoMorrows also put out a Graphite Edition Silver Star. Too bad about your Destroyer Duck, but I think prices have gone back to normal. Not .25 or dollar box level, but maybe around the cost of a large pizza and a few sodas.

Were these series that Kirby has already done,  inventory stories seeing the light of day, or was he working on the two series at the same time, pushing out new material daily?

I'm almost afraid to see what a gobblebozzer is? Is he friend or fore with the Fighting Fetus?

On 2/5/2024 at 9:46 PM, Marty Mann said:

While going through some boxes of my CIRCLE COMICS COLLECTION, I ran across the full run of 14 issues of JACK KIRBY'S

CAPTAIN VICTORY AND THE GALACTIC RANGERS. I had almost forgotten what  a good series this was.

IMG    CAPTAIN VICTORY #1   (200 dpi)     .jpg

Those guns were clearly a major influence on a young Rob Liefeld, I suspect.

On 2/12/2024 at 10:51 AM, shadroch said:

Were these series that Kirby has already done,  inventory stories seeing the light of day, or was he working on the two series at the same time, pushing out new material daily?

I'm almost afraid to see what a gobblebozzer is? Is he friend or fore with the Fighting Fetus?

From the Back Cover of number five .and  first appearance in number four.

IMG   GOOZLEBOBBER BACK COVER #5   (200 dpi)     .jpg

IMG   GOOZLEBOBBER   (200 dpi)     .jpg