• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does a COA sticker affect grading?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I have a comic that was signed and i had a COA sticker put on to verify the fact. How would that affect the grading process? Would it be worth grading? I really just want to get it slabbed to protect it, but was curious about the grading process.

Thanks to all

Probably not worth grading. 

CGC won't honor COAs.  That means you'll either get a Green Label (qualified grade) or a Blue label with a reduced grade for the writing on the cover. 

Don't mail your COA to them (you'll never see it again).  

You could use the other guys, but I think your better off leaving it bagged and boarded. 

A $60 CGC slab offers no more protection than a $2 mylar and top loader, and the mylar won't have Newton Rings. Spend your money on comic books, not comic grading from a scandal-ridden company. 

CGC doesn't recognize COAs, another reason not to send in the book with or without the COA.

If I'm reading the question correctly, there is a COA sticker directly on the comic book.  CGC considers both the writing and the sticker to be damage.  You would get either a blue label with a grade that is significantly lowered by the damage, or you'd get a green label that indicates the damage.  So slabbing the book would not add resale value to it.

If your goal is just to preserve the book:

On 2/11/2024 at 11:10 AM, shadroch said:

A $60 CGC slab offers no more protection than a $2 mylar and top loader, and the mylar won't have Newton Rings.

There are a few (very few) situations where it might still be worth grading.  Generally not though

if you want to know you’re one of the few, post the book and some close up condition pictures

On 2/11/2024 at 9:43 AM, Dcolborn said:

I have a comic that was signed and i had a COA sticker put on to verify the fact. How would that affect the grading process? Would it be worth grading? I really just want to get it slabbed to protect it, but was curious about the grading process.

Thanks to all

As stated, CGC won't confirm the signature thus getting labels that people avoid.  The other company does this, but I usually get warnings for saying so.  CGC could, but probably choose not to because they have enough failure points in the business (as we've all seen in the press and in court docs), and they don't need to add another.

As for COA, they are pretty worthless. They may offer you peace of mind but they prove nothing.  Grading companies won't acknowledge them, nor should they.

As for a hard, sealed, plastic slab vs taped mylar, I have to disagree with anyone who says they offer the same protection.  

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 2/11/2024 at 9:43 AM, Dcolborn said:

Thanks to all

I had a book SS'd through Celebrity Authentics very early on in their collab with CGC.  They demanded that their COA sticker be placed on the comic instead of on the case as it is done now.  The book was a strong 9.8 candidate and it came back 7.5.  That, I believe, is a fair benchmark for what the drop would be - at least for a sticker the size of the CA sticker.   

On 2/14/2024 at 6:16 AM, Sigur Ros said:

As for a hard, sealed, plastic slab vs taped mylar, I have to disagree with anyone who says they offer the same protection.

True. Slabs are much, much worse if they're being moved around a lot like during shipping.