• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Places to Sell
1 1

29 posts in this topic

What are some excellent places to sell CGC-graded comic books from before the 1980s? I searched and surfed the forums but could not find any information. I was looking at Comic Connect, Comic Link, Myslabs, etc. There are so many places. Any recommendations?

On 2/19/2024 at 8:19 PM, PaulM45 said:

Thanks for the recommendation. My Comic Shop is on my list of options. Any thoughts about Comic Connect?

Is it mostly Bronze and Silver? 

Comicconnect is good.  If I had bigger keys I would probably look at Comicconnect. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 2/19/2024 at 9:47 PM, KCOComics said:

Is it mostly Bronze and Silver? 

Comicconnect is good.  If I had bigger keys I would probably look at Comicconnect. 

Yes, mostly Bronze and Silver. I noticed that Comic Connect does not hold onto the comic books as they are being sold. They are the middle-man. But MCS holds onto the comic books while they are being sold. Does that make a difference?

On 2/19/2024 at 10:18 PM, shadroch said:

When I looked at comicconnect a few years ago, they wanted a consignment fee plus set up charges that made their total fee unacceptable.

Thanks for the information.

I noticed that Comic Connect does not hold onto the comic books as they are being sold. They are the middle-man. But MCS holds onto the comic books while they are being sold. Does that make a difference?

On 2/14/2024 at 12:03 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Depending on what you have, you can see if MCS is interested in buying or you can sell as a consignment item or auction at MCS.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/?gclid=CLS_6I_Q8cUCFYYUHwodbhUAag

Thanks for the information. I noticed that Comic Connect does not hold onto the comic books as they are being sold. They are the middle-man. But MCS holds onto the comic books while they are being sold. Does that make a difference?

On 2/14/2024 at 12:10 PM, shadroch said:

Mycomicshop is the easiest. They'll take any CGC or CBGS slab on consignment and walk you through the process if you need help. They pay quickly.

I noticed that Comic Connect does not hold onto the comic books as they are being sold. They are the middle-man. But MCS holds onto the comic books while they are being sold. Does that make a difference?

On 2/19/2024 at 8:18 PM, shadroch said:

When I looked at comicconnect a few years ago, they wanted a consignment fee plus set up charges that made their total fee unacceptable.

I've found this out on HA - but they are also picky on which books they will take as well. When looking at previous sales of similar books on HA, I discovered that after the Buyer's Premium (that skews the value of the book from the sales perspective) and the additional 10% seller's fee - I was actually likely going to go backwards on books that had gained value since I bought them.

I (personally) recommend selling them here on the boards factoring in a discount (since you're not subjected to BP or seller fees) and trying to move them here. What I can't sell here, I'll likely send to ComicLink as they have a pretty easy method of putting stuff in auction.

I've heard lots of great stuff about MCS, and if you're not in a hurry to get rid of anything - that might be your best bet.

As a buyer, I like that MCS has the book in hand. It will get to me faster, and the seller doesn't have a chance to regret the sale and maybe it gets lost.

As a seller, I like that I send one box to MCS, and don't have to make multiple trips to the PO as the books sell. 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:35 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I've found this out on HA - but they are also picky on which books they will take as well. When looking at previous sales of similar books on HA, I discovered that after the Buyer's Premium (that skews the value of the book from the sales perspective) and the additional 10% seller's fee - I was actually likely going to go backwards on books that had gained value since I bought them.

I (personally) recommend selling them here on the boards factoring in a discount (since you're not subjected to BP or seller fees) and trying to move them here. What I can't sell here, I'll likely send to ComicLink as they have a pretty easy method of putting stuff in auction.

I've heard lots of great stuff about MCS, and if you're not in a hurry to get rid of anything - that might be your best bet.

On 2/22/2024 at 12:38 PM, shadroch said:

As a buyer, I like that MCS has the book in hand. It will get to me faster, and the seller doesn't have a chance to regret the sale and maybe it gets lost.

As a seller, I like that I send one box to MCS, and don't have to make multiple trips to the PO as the books sell. 

As a seller, you don't mind sending comic books to MCS before they are sold?

On 2/23/2024 at 10:22 AM, PaulM45 said:

I imagine it’s personal preference- I would rather hold onto the books until sale, but I don’t mind the hassle of shipping. If you wanted to send them all in to avoid shipping piecemeal as they sell, that’s probably the advantage of MCS storing your books.

On 2/23/2024 at 12:29 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I imagine it’s personal preference- I would rather hold onto the books until sale, but I don’t mind the hassle of shipping. If you wanted to send them all in to avoid shipping piecemeal as they sell, that’s probably the advantage of MCS storing your books.

I thought ComicConnect would have the advantage since the seller holds onto the comic before it sells, but based on the comments I'm getting, it does not seem like a big deal to ship the comics before they sell. I will consider that.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:19 AM, PaulM45 said:

Yes, mostly Bronze and Silver. I noticed that Comic Connect does not hold onto the comic books as they are being sold. They are the middle-man. But MCS holds onto the comic books while they are being sold. Does that make a difference?

It does to me.  I would never knowingly bid on books at an auction house that isn't physically holding the books.  Too many bad things can happen like the seller backing out, the seller selling it somewhere else, the seller failing to describe/grade the book accurately, the book being damaged when finally shipped.  I prefer an auction house that has the book in hand and has had an opportunity to inspect it and the case if it was graded.  I don't know how many other collectors think like me and if that has an effect on sales results but I would imagine it does.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:23 AM, PaulM45 said:

Not at all.  Less to store and less to worry about.   Pack up the books and ship them. In a couple of weeks, You get to set your price and then you sit back and collect checks. Let others do as much work as possible. 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:29 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Shipping twenty books at once is much cheaper than sending twenty individual books, not to mention the time and effort involved.  

There is little I find as frustrating as selling a $20 item on eBay and then spending eight hours trying to find something you listed five months ago.  Selling on MCS is actually cheaper than eBay and gets you more exposure as MCS will list it on eBay for you.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:23 AM, PaulM45 said:

The downside is that you can't market on other platforms or sell directly once you've sent to MCS.  The upside is that MCS is basically a concierge service for selling books, at a lower cost than the DIY style selling of Ebay.  I find it to be a significant value to send to MCS in bulk and let them handle the listing, selling and shipping of my books.