• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Places to Sell
1 1

29 posts in this topic

When you buy a book on MCS, they have it in hand and have already graded it.  The book usually ships in a few days, depending on your payment method.

When you buy a book on another site, the company sends an email to the owner. He may have sold the book elsewhere, he may no longer want to sell it, or he may think it went too cheap and not respond.  If he chooses to sell it, it needs to be well-packed and safely delivered.  Then the site has to receive the book and examine it to be sure it meets the grade they sold it for. This process takes time.  The MCS buyer usually has the book in hand before the other site has even gotten the book from the seller.

From the seller's point of view, he'll usually have a check from MCS before the other guys have even shipped the book to the buyer. 

Speed of transacting isn't the only factor to consider, but it is an important one.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:38 PM, thehumantorch said:

It does to me.  I would never knowingly bid on books at an auction house that isn't physically holding the books.  Too many bad things can happen like the seller backing out, the seller selling it somewhere else, the seller failing to describe/grade the book accurately, the book being damaged when finally shipped.  I prefer an auction house that has the book in hand and has had an opportunity to inspect it and the case if it was graded.  I don't know how many other collectors think like me and if that has an effect on sales results but I would imagine it does.

Thanks for the buyer's perspective.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:48 PM, shadroch said:

Not at all.  Less to store and less to worry about.   Pack up the books and ship them. In a couple of weeks, You get to set your price and then you sit back and collect checks. Let others do as much work as possible. 

Thanks.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:09 PM, shadroch said:

When you buy a book on MCS, they have it in hand and have already graded it.  The book usually ships in a few days, depending on your payment method.

When you buy a book on another site, the company sends an email to the owner. He may have sold the book elsewhere, he may no longer want to sell it, or he may think it went too cheap and not respond.  If he chooses to sell it, it needs to be well-packed and safely delivered.  Then the site has to receive the book and examine it to be sure it meets the grade they sold it for. This process takes time.  The MCS buyer usually has the book in hand before the other site has even gotten the book from the seller.

From the seller's point of view, he'll usually have a check from MCS before the other guys have even shipped the book to the buyer. 

Speed of transacting isn't the only factor to consider, but it is an important one.

Thanks. I did not think about it from the buyer's point of view.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:04 PM, Nick Furious said:

The downside is that you can't market on other platforms or sell directly once you've sent to MCS.  The upside is that MCS is basically a concierge service for selling books, at a lower cost than the DIY style selling of Ebay.  I find it to be a significant value to send to MCS in bulk and let them handle the listing, selling and shipping of my books.  

Thanks for the opinion. MCS is starting to look like who I should use.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:48 AM, shadroch said:

Not at all.  Less to store and less to worry about.   Pack up the books and ship them. In a couple of weeks, You get to set your price and then you sit back and collect checks. Let others do as much work as possible. 

I am curious about this aspect: do they just sit there to sell, and if it takes two years, you don't have to pay any additional fees, etc? I assume that if you want them back, you pay to have them shipped back?

It sounds like a great concept for someone who is getting out of the hobby and doesn't want to worry about posting/reposting books for sale. Which, if I remember right, Shad - you sold off your collection and are out of collecting? Am I remembering that right?

I've been thinking about what you've said about MCS and am considering that for my leftovers once I post everything up here on the boards.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:28 PM, thehumantorch said:

Here's a thread I started about my experience selling there.  As you pointed out there are many sites to sell and mycomicshop isn't the only good place to sell books.  

Great information. Thanks.

On 2/24/2024 at 8:12 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I am curious about this aspect: do they just sit there to sell, and if it takes two years, you don't have to pay any additional fees, etc? I assume that if you want them back, you pay to have them shipped back?

It sounds like a great concept for someone who is getting out of the hobby and doesn't want to worry about posting/reposting books for sale. Which, if I remember right, Shad - you sold off your collection and are out of collecting? Am I remembering that right?

I've been thinking about what you've said about MCS and am considering that for my leftovers once I post everything up here on the boards.

MCs have some rules about books sitting too long, but I've never run into them.  It is at least a year and may be longer for expensive books.  There is a fee if you want your books back, but I've never needed them. 

I sold off my collection in 2022 but bought two collections last year and started doing small shows again. I have one in Tucson next month.  I also have stuff on consignment in a few spots. I pick up stuff when I find it.  I'm retired and if I buy a book for $80 and sell it for $150, I might eat out a couple more times. While I currently have about twenty short boxes of books, my personal collection no longer exists. Everything is in inventory and needs to be in motion. Three years ago, I was slinging GA Schomburgs and Ditko Spidermans; now I'm dealing mostly in dollar bin books and searching obscure auctions.  Recent results were a Crow 1(2nd) for $300, a Chakan 1 for a dime, and just last night, a CGC 9.4 Ultimate Fallout 4 for $327.  If I don't sell them in a month or two, they'll end up at MCS.

In case there is any doubt, I highly recommend MCS, both as a great place to sell and it can be a great buying source at times.