• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool UPC boxes thread
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 13/02/2024 at 13:15, BA773 said:

Share here the coolest upc boxes design! 

I start with Aquaman (1994 series) #60, the upc box is standard without drawing but is pink and frames in an emerald cadre, really cool.

20240213_110203.jpg.223f645244063ff2534cfd2d1ad581db.jpg

Full cover look like that!

20240213_110201.thumb.jpg.106c45b315f09dc81844e4d9ee197cba.jpg

On 2/13/2024 at 1:30 PM, kenaran said:

AoS 444, works a bit better as a direct.

image.png.49050cf94069c9f2de976f262ca9d008.pngimage.png.a6a4e0577e3fec7e2ee783aa9478408d.png

Nice insertion!

On 2/13/2024 at 2:36 PM, DougC said:

I always like when art was added:

image.png.7278fda9317566edfde1bfba9a635644.pngimage.png.9d01500ba2b36786f3c49bf0f8b2b690.pngimage.png.6f2553eb935d74f12d0b20a69a60da63.pngimage.png.e691fbdbfa7489f5a582b86b04060241.png

423!!! 

Yes it was a cool time, however i never understood how the product was marketable without a visible barcode, is there someone who know how it worked? 

On 2/13/2024 at 8:50 PM, 666-6666 said:

Direct Market books were non-returnable.

Yes but what it change? I mean each product you buy deserve a barcode. Rice, milk, CD or comics everything have a barcode (shrug) 

Edited by BA773

There are a number of websites that get into this.  The basic gist;

The first group of 5 digits is for the publisher

The second group of 5 digits is for the title

Then things diverge for newsstand/direct.

For newsstand there are 2 digits which are unique to the issue for a given calendar year.  (last two of issue number, month number, counting up from first issue in January, that sort of thing)

For direct, once they started having UPC codes, its an extra 5 digits. The general rule is that the first 3 are for the issue #, then 1 digit for the cover #, then 1 digit for the printing #.  On some books with high cover or printing counts it starts getting a bit muddled.

Newsstands were returnable for a partial refund.  Not fully up on it but I think they could just return the cover.  On pre-direct market it may have even been just the upper 1/4 of the cover with the title/issue# (plenty of those on ebay).

Directs were not returnable, but were a bit cheaper up front.

Edit: by cost, I mean cost or refund to the retailer. 

Edited by kenaran
More info, and fat fingers

On 2/14/2024 at 4:08 AM, kenaran said:

There are a number of websites that get into this.  The basic gist;

The first group of 5 digits is for the publisher

The second group of 5 digits is for the title

Then things diverge for newsstand/direct.

For newsstand there are 2 digits which are unique to the issue for a given calendar year.  (last two of issue number, month number, counting up from first issue in January, that sort of thing)

For direct, once they started having UPC codes, its an extra 5 digits. The general rule is that the first 3 are for the issue #, then 1 digit for the cover #, then 1 digit for the printing #.  On some books with high cover or printing counts it starts getting a bit muddled.

Newsstands were returnable for a partial refund.  Not fully up on it but I think they could just return the cover.  On pre-direct market it may have even been just the upper 1/4 of the cover with the title/issue# (plenty of those on ebay).

Directs were not returnable, but were a bit cheaper up front.

Edit: by cost, I mean cost or refund to the retailer. 

Yes but it still dont answer to the asking lol how they could replaced the barcode by a design considering that every item avalaible to buy in a shop get a barcode?

They basically needed a way to differentiate the newsstands from the directs to prevent refund fraud.

The direct market barcodes started at some point in the early nineties (1993?).  My memories are a bit hazy as I was still in grade school in the eighties, may need an assist here.  As I recall it most smaller shops (read as comic shops) didn't have barcode scanners until the late eighties / early nineties.  Just a simple cash register, or even a pocket calculator.

I mostly follow DC, for them it feels like any book that had a newsstand just left the box and filled it with something (text, promo, art) for the direct edition. 

On 2/14/2024 at 7:11 AM, BA773 said:

Yes but it still dont answer to the asking lol how they could replaced the barcode by a design considering that every item avalaible to buy in a shop get a barcode?

At the time comic shops were operating outside the UPC system with dedicated distribution (Diamond, Capital City, etc) and retail channels.  All comics sold in convenience stores, book stores, grocery stores, etc. had a bar code.  Comic shop workers had to manually enter the price per each.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:41 PM, BA773 said:

423!!! 

Yes it was a cool time, however i never understood how the product was marketable without a visible barcode, is there someone who know how it worked? 

The vast majority of comic shops then did not use scanners at checkout (or at all). Some still don't.

On 2/14/2024 at 6:35 AM, kenaran said:

I mostly follow DC, for them it feels like any book that had a newsstand just left the box and filled it with something (text, promo, art) for the direct edition. 

For the vast majority of comics with dual distribution, the only thing that changed was the content in the box because that meant only the black plate needed to be changed during printing.. But there are some seemingly random issues that didn't have the box at all on Directs, as well as some publishers/titles that didn't have it.

On 2/14/2024 at 9:15 AM, Brock said:

How about the DC Whitman variant UPC boxes?

these may be the very first time a "creative" option was used...

logo.png

Well, sure, since that's only a few years after the beginning of bar codes on comics.

On 2/14/2024 at 4:15 PM, Brock said:

How about the DC Whitman variant UPC boxes?

these may be the very first time a "creative" option was used...

logo.png

His left leg iss really weird lol