• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Cast Announced - Did They Get It Right? And Now (4/4)... Shalla-Bal?
2 2

83 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2024 at 8:41 AM, Cman429 said:

I don’t know much about the other two but at the very least Disney avoided their usual pandering by swapping the characters so at least everything is off on the right foot. If they can nail Doom, which is where the previous two versions totally blew it, everything should be alright. I’m not very enthused with any of the names I’ve seen thrown around so far. 

You don't think Cillian Murphy would absolutely knock this role out of the park?

On 2/17/2024 at 8:03 AM, TupennyConan said:

Post EG, we've all observed Disney intentionally demean and reject the aging fanboy demographic that created the original possibility for IM1's success. 

The result has been a destruction of their remarkable achievement. 

This is too strong a claim. I wanted to focus on the aging fanboy bit & made it sound like the She-Hulk message was the single, direct cause of the MCU collapse. That message was part of the collapse to be sure but good old fashioned poor storytelling has been the much greater part, I reckon.     

I'm pleased with the confirmed cast so far. Pedro will make a good Reed. I was concerned they might cast him as DOOM. IMO, DOOM should never be maskless. Therefore a formidable voice actor needs to play him. I know whispery acting is popular right now. Pedro is a great whisperer - so is Javier Bardem - but my preference is something more like this for DOOM [& Galactus]:

Christopher Lee | Dominic Wells 

For movie to be good it takes a good script, good/interested director and supporting studio. I don't really care about all that "lets see what this actor can do with this role.." I don't remember any movie that I was like yeah really good except this actor is ruin it. Fantastic four are likeable and at least for Pedro and Ebon are like that even thou they don't look the same as Reed and Ben in comics. Also the poster looked like Disney is giving us somewhat accurate FF film. I don't feel any hate towards the franchise like I did with the last FF movie.

On 2/18/2024 at 5:14 AM, TupennyConan said:

This is too strong a claim. I wanted to focus on the aging fanboy bit & made it sound like the She-Hulk message was the single, direct cause of the MCU collapse. That message was part of the collapse to be sure but good old fashioned poor storytelling has been the much greater part, I reckon.     

I agree.

Then you have Bob Iger saying that they are going to change things from what was in the comics to bring a fresh perspective to the Fantastic Four that hasn't been seen before.

I ask why?

I really would like to see the greatest stories told in the comics on the big screen, that is after all why the infinity saga was so great.

On 2/18/2024 at 4:21 AM, TupennyConan said:

I'm pleased with the confirmed cast so far. Pedro will make a good Reed. I was concerned they might cast him as DOOM. IMO, DOOM should never be maskless. Therefore a formidable voice actor needs to play him. I know whispery acting is popular right now. Pedro is a great whisperer - so is Javier Bardem - but my preference is something more like this for DOOM [& Galactus]:

IMG_5536.jpeg.c4be53a09d3d7c58b0de9da059a193b0.jpeg

On 2/20/2024 at 1:46 AM, Artboy99 said:

Then you have Bob Iger saying that they are going to change things from what was in the comics to bring a fresh perspective to the Fantastic Four that hasn't been seen before.

I'm always wary when a phrase like that is used. Especially when they're trying to outdo a creative genius like Kirby. A tall order.

As a precedent again, Josh Trank brought a fresh perspective to the team, and that went really well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/19/2024 at 8:46 PM, Artboy99 said:

I haven't seen that. Do you have the Iger link?

On 4/4/2024 at 6:37 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

Julia Garner,  a very fine actress (no joke, no sarcasm), is reported to play Shalla-Bal?

https://deadline.com/2024/04/fantastic-four-julia-garner-silver-surfer-1235873034/

It's amusing to watch how all the "fans" react to these types of announcements before they know hardly any specifics.

Garner is an amazing actress.

Edited by I like pie

On 4/4/2024 at 7:37 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

Julia Garner,  a very fine actress (no joke, no sarcasm), is reported to play Shalla-Bal?

https://deadline.com/2024/04/fantastic-four-julia-garner-silver-surfer-1235873034/

There's a longstanding Fantastic Four thread already covering this topic. Give it a try.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:04 AM, I like pie said:

It's amusing to watch how all the "fans" react to these types of announcements before they know hardly any specifics.

Garner is an amazing actress.

So what? I don't need to know any specifics. 

The Silver Surfer isn't Norrid Radd. It isn't the version that MADE THE CHARACTER POPULAR ENOUGH FOR DECADES TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A DAMN MOVIE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

That's the problem. I want the character that EARNED the popularity. Not something that some executive did to "check an inclusivity box."

Effing ridiculous.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:39 AM, I like pie said:

Sadly, this is how most people react to any kind of news these days.

Did you even read the rest of my post? The first part of the decision failed...I couldn't care less how great of an actress she is.

The character they are including in the movie is the incorrect one. Period.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:02 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Did you even read the rest of my post? The first part of the decision failed...I couldn't care less how great of an actress she is.

The character they are including in the movie is the incorrect one. Period.

Here's a scenario that would make your reaction seem foolish.

It's a cameo of a Silver Surfer from another universe and she's in the movie for 10 minutes.

On 4/4/2024 at 12:27 PM, I like pie said:

Here's a scenario that would make your reaction seem foolish.

It's a cameo of a Silver Surfer from another universe and she's in the movie for 10 minutes.

Not at all. My point still stands. They are wasting time and resources for BS garbage.

Make it Norrin Radd and that's it.

However, even regardless of that...what have they done in the past 4 or 5 movies and 4 or 5 TV shows that lead you to believe they will what you suggest and THEN get it right?

They've done nothing. Nothing to suggest that.