• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So we re scammed by DC on the number of pages...
2 2

38 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2024 at 6:46 AM, Ken Aldred said:

In the 70s, we were down to 16 or 17 pages of material.

My first thought too when reading the thread title, LOL! 16 or 17 pages, and you were lucky if a Hostess Twinkies ad didn’t count as one of them.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:27 AM, BA773 said:

Yesterday i read a new wonderful issue of Superman (2nd serie #50)

HOWEVER! The cover indicate 48 freaking pages... what was my surprise when after this beautiful art panel...

20240218_171908.jpg.8acc69d398d347109bbf31721bae777c.jpg

Which is numbered as "PAGE 38" I got next the fans commentaries... GOD! Why did you lie to me DC!? 

I was even go online to check if my book had some missing pages but no its well complete. 

This isnt normal, i want some explanations! I understand now why the guys bought to the newsttands...

(Note: this topic is  on an humorous tone and i dont care of it but its doesnt change that i not understand why the number of page is wrong)

Does it say '48 story pages'? Does it say 'no ads'? No, it says "special 48 page issue", which it has (interior pages, not including the cover).

On 2/20/2024 at 12:18 PM, 1950's war comics said:

in some select 60's books you would get a 23 page novel !!!

In three chapters!

On 2/19/2024 at 5:09 PM, shadroch said:

They blew the 150th Anniversary issue, as well.   136 reprinted a Beast story from only a couple years before.   In issue 142, the Avengers start a multi-issue arc involving the Sinister Squadron, only to be interrupted by a two-issue inventory story.  Issue 149 announces the big 150th Anniversary issue and promises the debut of a new team of Avengers.  Instead, we got a couple of new pages framing a reprint of most of Avengers 16, and the new team is put off until issue 151. 

Say what you want about Stan Lee, but he never would have allowed this.

Yup. I just couldn't be bothered this afternoon to go on GCD to fine tune my post.

On 2/19/2024 at 10:16 PM, Point Five said:

My first thought too when reading the thread title, LOL! 16 or 17 pages, and you were lucky if a Hostess Twinkies ad didn’t count as one of them.

I've just had a look back at one of the DC "48 pages, All New !" comics from mid 1978, where the actual page count of new story material turns out to be 25 pages.

The OP shouldn't get so worked up.  Plus ça change.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:16 PM, Point Five said:

Sometimes, the Hostess ad was the only original page in the book. 

Or, to put it another way, following my bit of research about Bronze Age DC '48 pagers' ...

:preach:

38 pages of new comics?  38 pages ?

Back in my day, when I was a young 'un, we only got 25 ! You should be glad !

:preach:

And, a Hostess Twinkie Ad. Occasionally by Neal Adams. And we were grateful.

Edited by Ken Aldred