• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UK GA Buyers on Ebay.com - Ebay trying to charge dutes on comics (printed media)
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Comics in the UK are classified as 'printed media' and therefore duty free:

https: www.gov.uk/guidance/pay-no-import-duties-and-vat-on-miscellaneous-documents-and-related-articles

I've purchased £10,000s worth from Ebay, Comiclink, Heritage, Comicconnect etc and never paid a penny. I'd had no issues buying internationally on Ebay as long as the seller had listed it in the right category of books/comics.

However a few months ago -  I noticed Ebay started quoting 'duties' on some comics once they went above about $400. I got charged $35 on a purchase in November yet $0 on another items of the same value from the same seller at the same time. However I filled in their form:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

and got it back after chasing a couple of times.

On Boxing Day I got charged $86 on a Batman 10 ($1800 cost). Again filled in the form but have now spent the past two months banging my head against the wall trying to get their 'EbayIntlShipping' department to refund me. They just say 'it's correct' with no explanation as to why they can charge my $86 duties on an item that is duty free under UK law. I've had about 7 responses - but just get incoherent replies from people who I guess dont speak English as a first language.

Latest one even admitted the first refund was correct but still say the second one 'did not apply' ?! Again - no explanation as to why one comic purchase would get a refund and the next not.

'First I want to apologize for this is not an experience we ant you to have. I want to assure that I did look into that previous refund, and that order, 15-10813-79364, did have VAT charged through eBay check out. We did indeed refund you for those fees because they were charged incorrect. This newer purchase, 02-10979-09798, we did not charge those fees because the did indeed did not apply for the order. You can view a breakdown in your Order Details. You may need to click on the blue order total to show the full breakdown. This will confirm that VAT was not charges on this order.'

I know one UK collector in the same boat. Must be lots more?

Ebay continues to quote 'duties' now on many comic listings so it's stopping me from buy GA as having to pay needless tax and massive headache trying to get it back.

Also raises the question - where does the money go? UK government not asking for it. Do they just keep it?! 

I have had this issue too. Initially direct from FEDEX who wanted to charge duty (Received a letter/bill out the blue a few weeks after my delivery) Eventually got the charges reversed with them. 

Thanks for the link to the ebay form, I will check it out. I'm sure I've paid a lot of 'duties' over the last couple of years. Will need to go back and review my orders. 

This was my response to FedEx when receiving the letter but also shows VAT exemption number that maybe useful to others. (and ebay)

Hi, I have received a duty and tax invoice for a package I received from America. I was under the impression that the item I ordered (comic book) was classed as printed matter and therefore had a zero rating (VAT NOTICE 701/10).The item delivered falls under The Value Added Tax Act 1994, section 30 (provides for the zero rating of goods listed in Schedule 8 to the Act).I believe the invoice sent to me is incorrect. Can you please contact me to let me know.

I would just forget about e bay. They are going to do what they wan't no matter what. And the governments are going to take everything they can no matter what. All the tax on internet sales now has got to be an astroniminal amount of money. But they gotta pay the central bankers back the interest for the trillions in dollars loaned to them to finance the corona virus spending. That money had to come from somewhere, now the debt is due. After all they have nukes. 

Sorry to say but the only way to avoid it is don't do business with them. 

Fedex it seems can be reasoned with and have staff who understand how some items are liable for duties and some aren't.

However whilst the Ebay International Team reply back to you - they can only parrot that 'charges are correct' in semi literate english and don't have any ability to read or comprehend customs laws (even when sent links direct to the UK government website which clearly states 'printed media' is exempt). 

Didn't used to be a problem on Ebay. Surely illegal to charge fees on items that are exempt and then refuse to refund?!