• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Production page question

7 posts in this topic

I'm considering buying a production page but I don't know much about them. If you put one in my hand I would have no idea what to look for to know if it is real or not. Can anyone tell me what it is, what it was for, and how to know if it is the real deal and not some copy that has been Xeroxed over an over?

It really depends.  Is it paper, plastic ??  Is it a single sheet with the art as it would appear in print ??  Is it in black and white, color, sepia ??  It is a sheet with elements pasted on?  If it's a letters page, is each row of text glued on the sheet ?  Even if there are printed elements, does it have any actual original art ?? 

Edited by Will_K

If you are looking at "Production Art" that is a B&W image on acetate sold by Leadpink (and various others), I would be surprised if it was actually used in the production of a comic.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:53 AM, gumbydarnit said:

With the artist editions and marvel essentials, seems like a lot of source material for someone to scan and print on acetate and call it production art... too much smoke to be sure what is real. I see a lot of stuff that looks extremely questionable. 

I could drive right down to a large-scale printer in my town with a scan from any one of those artist editions, and have it imaged on resin-coated paper - which is the same paper used for stats from the 80's through the early 2000s and 99% of anyone in the market buying those things would never know. They are way too easy and cheap to replicate.