• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice On Older Cases Inner Well
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello All,

My friend recently offered to sell me his Wolverine Limited Series #1 Newsstand 9.8. Unfortunately for me, it’s in the older case, and the case is in rough shape. I searched up the cert # and it checks out and says it was graded in 2004. So during the earlier years of CGC. The right side of the slab can be opened a little bit, but after some research it seems like that’s common in these older slabs. All four corners are intact and it doesn’t seem to be tampered with. So I’m not worried about it being a fake case or it being part of the reholder scam.

My concern is with the case and inner well. Besides the scuffs and scrapes all over the front and back, the top label has a stain mark and the inner well shifts. It doesn’t shift left and right but up and down. I notice the label isn’t up as far as it originally was manufactured and should sit. I can compare this older case to another case I have, that was slabbed in 2007, and this label, compared to the slab I already own, sits way low in the case. Once tilted upside down, it slides up and looks better, although it doesn’t seem to fully be back in the intended position. Once tilted back to right side up, it drops inside the case. Does anyone have a slab that does this, or have you come across any that do this?

My LCS owner thinks it’s legit, just in rough shape. He recommended I send it in for a reholder so it’s in a new case and presents better, possibly with a custom label. I’m just concerned with the reholder scam it will be re-graded and come back a lower grade after being slabbed for 20 years and looking like it’s lived a rough life.

I have zero experience in grading comics or determining the value of comics. However, you are not responsible for the original cased comic to be cosmetically damaged because of poor ownership, the owner is and is therefore responsible for any loss in value because of these actions. If he wants to sell the comic at today's value, then I feel he needs to get the comic up to today's standards or at the least, repair the cosmetic damage of the case.  In other words, if you feel there is a cost difference between a newly cased comic without all of the cosmetic issues you described, then the owner is responsible to suffer those losses, not you.  Tell your friend that you will buy the comic after it has been re-holdered and re-graded.

1. If it comes back same or better grade, make an agreement that you will pay that value price for the comic and will add the cost of re-holdering the comic. The risk is, it may come back worth more than you perceive right now. Good for him, bad for you. But fair.

2. If the comic comes back with a lower grade, make an agreement you have the right to determine if you want to purchase the comic at that lower grade. If you do decide to purchase, then determine that value with the seller and add the cost of re-holdering. Good for you, bad for him. But again, fair.

3. You can purchase the comic as is, and re-holder yourself taking on all risk of a possible lower grade.  OR possibly getting a higher graded comic at a lower graded cost.  Again, fair.

I am new to this hobby and the details involved are not something I can comment on. However, transactions and fairness and deals are the same on any business type decision. There may be other options you may think of. In the end, it is what you are comfortable with and are willing to accept if you purchase this comic.  Good luck, keep us updated, and thanks for sharing.

I just did a reholder on a 9.8 signed book and it was no problem at all...came back to me perfect.

So if you dont like the old slab, send it in for a nice crispy new one.

Im not a CGC historian but grading was probably more strict in 2004.

You could even crack it out and resubmit it for a press and grading and you may get a 9.9 !

Theyre giving them out more frequently these days.

Unless it is being sold at a huge discount, why bother?  It's a common book easily found in 9.8 slabs that are problem free. If he wants more than $400, I'd pass.