• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice re valuation
4 4

28 posts in this topic

Hi. 
I’ve recently inherited a large amount of silver age pre-Marvel and Marvel comics here in the UK. I’d like to have a a ballpark idea as to their value and have seen sell my comics.com do a free evaluation, clearly in the hope that they can buy any ones of value.

Can anyone advise as to their reliability? They seem pretty good but some input from forum users would be appreciated.  I have no immediate plans to sell but may do so in future. Is it considered bad form to seek a valuation with no intent ion of making an immediate sale? Are there any legal obligations once one has started the process?

I’d appreciate any advice re this company and any alternatives.

Thanks

M

www.mycomicshop has an extensive inventory that is easy to negotiate. You can look up your books and get an idea of what they are worth.  Books that have multiple copies in yellow are generally considered 'hot".  

I'm not familiar with the site you mentioned.

On 2/28/2024 at 12:16 PM, shadroch said:

I'm not familiar with the site you mentioned.

I've never bought nor sold from these guys but they used to post entertaining unboxing videos.

Edited by grendelbo

On 2/28/2024 at 11:55 AM, martyboy said:

Hi. 
I’ve recently inherited a large amount of silver age pre-Marvel and Marvel comics here in the UK. I’d like to have a a ballpark idea as to their value and have seen sell my comics.com do a free evaluation, clearly in the hope that they can buy any ones of value.

Can anyone advise as to their reliability? They seem pretty good but some input from forum users would be appreciated.  I have no immediate plans to sell but may do so in future. Is it considered bad form to seek a valuation with no intent ion of making an immediate sale? Are there any legal obligations once one has started the process?

I’d appreciate any advice re this company and any alternatives.

Thanks

M

Hi Marty.  I've never dealt with sell my comics.com so can't comment on their trustworthiness.

Here's a link to key collector comics.  It's great for looking up approximate values and will help you identify valuable books in your collection.

https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/

Once you've identified valuable books I'd suggest that you go to the grading area of the forum and start a few threads so we can give you some grading feedback on your books.  Grading is very important when valuing comics and a comic could be worth $100 or thousands depending on grade.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Keep in mind that any dealer who buys your collection has to make money selling your books and be rewarded for their time and effort.  But it's important that you understand what you have, which books are valuable, and at least a rough understanding of grading standards.  Otherwise you could end up selling for pennies on the dollar.

I'd also suggest you talk to @Flaming_Telepath on the boards.  He's in the UK and has a stellar reputation here.

Also could you post some pictures in this thread so we can get an idea of the size of this collection and the quality of the books?  Plus we love seeing collections and books.

Edited by thehumantorch

If you meant mycomicshop.com

in Texas they are reliable though I have no idea if they make sense for non US folks

Edited by revat

On 2/28/2024 at 8:02 PM, thehumantorch said:

I'd also suggest you talk to @Flaming_Telepath on the boards.  He's in the UK and has a stellar reputation here.

:foryou:

Thank you.

Marty, drop me a DM and I'll see if I can help you. I'm in Hertfordshire, UK, and a full-time dealer.

On 2/28/2024 at 5:54 PM, thehumantorch said:

The only satisfaction I get from these videos is when they whine about the grades or their aggressive cleaning methods

The aforementioned guys usually showed off collections they bought. It was entertaining watching for gems in the lots.

Another question: Is the lower price shown for comics on Key Collector Comics what one would expect to be able to sell it for privately (assuming it's in reasonable condition) ? Obviously no-one wants an edition that's been chewed by the dog but if it's in one piece and not too badly damaged would the price fit?

Here's an example, (Images attached). The staples aren't rusted as far as I can see and the paper may be slightly yellowed. There's some water damage on the back, but it's still flat. Would this be considered worth a low estimate of $1.7 as suggested on KCC?!

Thanks

M

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1381 2.JPG

On 2/29/2024 at 10:18 AM, martyboy said:

Another question: Is the lower price shown for comics on Key Collector Comics what one would expect to be able to sell it for privately (assuming it's in reasonable condition) ? Obviously no-one wants an edition that's been chewed by the dog but if it's in one piece and not too badly damaged would the price fit?

Here's an example, (Images attached). The staples aren't rusted as far as I can see and the paper may be slightly yellowed. There's some water damage on the back, but it's still flat. Would this be considered worth a low estimate of $1.7 as suggested on KCC?!

Thanks

M

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1381 2.JPG

So think of Keycollector as a rough guideline.  Also as just a great way to quickly find valuable books in a run of comics.  So when you type in Strange Tales you can quickly see which books have extraordinary value and which don't.  All of it may have value but the keys hold the most value and are easiest to sell.

So looking at your Strange Tales 110 I'd grade it around 2.5.  It's a wonderful key book with the first appearance of Dr Strange.  That's assuming it's complete, count the pages, there should be 16 - 8 to the centerfold and 8 more to the back cover, and there's no restoration like colour touch.  In that grade it's worth around $1400 usd.  Also realize that to get the best price selling it someone will have to pay to get it graded and that isn't cheap.  

You should post this book in a grading thread to see how other people grade it.  A picture of the centerfold would be helpful

Do you have #111?

Edited by thehumantorch

That book is one of the key books of the Silver Age.  If it were mine, I wouldn't have it graded.  If I were selling, I'd send it to one of the auction houses and sell it as is.

Wow. I had no idea when I started this thread that my comics would be of this much importance and value. My thoughts are now turning to how on earth I keep them safe. I have four comic boxes with a fairly large number of Tales to Astonish, Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense and Journey into Mystery. I’ll be like a mother hen with them. They’re just in the standard cardboard comic boxes just now. I have no short term plans to sell them but I guess I should develop at least an idea as to value for insurance purposes?

I’m a real newbie to all of this so any advice re storage, insurance (if applicable) would be appreciated. I’m also conscious that some of what I’m posting on this thread would be better on other threads. Thanks for everyone’s patience while I suss it all out!