• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage weekly auctions - stepping up the offerings?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I speak about this a lot with my close circle of OA collecting friends, and it should come as no surprise to anyone on this message board  - the number of auctions has ballooned to several multiples from just a few years ago.  Clink, ComicConnect, Hake's, etc. all have their big quarterly auctions, and some also have intermittent auctions, too.

But most of the attention has gone to Heritage, with their Signature auctions every 3 months, plus International OA auctions, Archie OA auctions, and who can forget the myriad of Garfield auctions we've come to anticipate? :roflmao:

Submissions for the aforementioned HA auctions have been increasing, and the durations of the auctions have become weekend marathons, with several folks mentioning the auctions take far too long and they sometimes 'tune out'.  Well, it seems as though Heritage has received word because their weekly auction offerings seem to be improving in quality (breadth, depth of offerings).  The past weeks' auction was pretty good, and the current weekly auction has art by a bunch of great artists of interest to most of us.

Not sure if this plan is short-term to enhance interest in the weekly auctions or reduce the offerings/duration for their Signature auctions (or both!), but there seems to be some very nice art and good deals flying under the radar (some mention of this was noted by another OA member in a different thread).  So, if you have some money handy, now may be a great time to pick up a decent piece.

Thoughts?

P.S. For full transparency, I have consigned one lot in this weeks' HA auction, which I will highlight soon in the OA Marketplace section.

I feel like it’s an auction deluge that I have an hard time keeping up with. Truthfully unless the auction has AMans, Archie’s or early Tecs they’re crraap. 

IMG_0207.gif

Edited by ThothAmon

Funny, I've got the opposite opinion.

For several of the last few weekly auctions I have not put even a single bid in, whereas during the past few years it felt like I was consistently bidding on 5-15 pieces each week.

On 3/1/2024 at 12:56 AM, tth2 said:

Funny, I've got the opposite opinion.

For several of the last few weekly auctions I have not put even a single bid in, whereas during the past few years it felt like I was consistently bidding on 5-15 pieces each week.

Not surprisingly, we don't collect the same artwork.  It happens.

Some highlights/art that may be of interesting to some folks.  To reiterate from a previous post, none of these are mine.

Bolland Camelot 3000 page.  Link: Brian Bolland and Bruce Patterson Camelot 3000 #3 Story Page 12 | Lot #46012 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Brian Bolland and Bruce Patterson Camelot 3000 #3 Story Page 12 Original Art (DC, 1983)....

Sal Buscema ROM #2 page.  Link: Sal Buscema Rom #2 Story Page 3 Original Art (Marvel, 1980). ... | Lot #46019 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Sal Buscema Rom #2 Story Page 3 Original Art (Marvel, 1980). ...

Joe Devito Doc Savage cover.  Link: Joe DeVito Doc Savage: The War Makers Cover Original Art (Altus | Lot #46051 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Covers, Joe DeVito Doc Savage: The War Makers Cover Original Art (Altus Press, 2014)....

Dillin JLA 102 splash.  Link:  Dillin and Joe Giella Justice League of America #102 Splash | Lot #46053 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Splash Pages, Dick Dillin and Joe Giella Justice League of America #102 Splash Page 1 Original Art (DC, 19...

Eaglesham JSA Double Page Splash.  Link: Dale Eaglesham and Ruy Jose Justice Society of America #2 Double | Lot #46060 | Heritage Auctions

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Dale Eaglesham and Ruy Jose Justice Society of America #2 Double Page Spread 4-5 Original Ar...

Infantino Avengers 178 two-page lot.  Link: Carmine Infantino and Rudy Nebres The Avengers #178 Story Pages 14 | Lot #46082 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Carmine Infantino and Rudy Nebres The Avengers #178 Story Pages 14 & 15 Original Art (Marvel...

Keown Hulk 376 page.  I think the large panel may be the inspiration for the 'Hulk Hands' toy that Sheldon affectionately used in an episode of The Big Bang Theory.  Link: Dale Keown and Bob McLeod The Incredible Hulk #376 Story Page 2 | Lot #46096 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Dale Keown and Bob McLeod The Incredible Hulk #376 Story Page 2 Original Art (Marvel, 1990)....

David Mack Death (Sandman's sister) watercolor painting.  Link: David Mack - Death from Sandman Painting Original Art (undated).... | Lot #46115 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Paintings, David Mack - Death from Sandman Painting Original Art (undated)....

Luke McDonnell JLA 249-251 splash pages lot.  Link: Luke McDonnell and Bill Wray Justice League of America #249-251 | Lot #46124 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Splash Pages, Luke McDonnell and Bill Wray Justice League of America #249-251 Splash Pages Original Art Gr...

Al Milgrom Marvel Spotlight #3 Captain Marvel cover.  Link: Al Milgrom Marvel Spotlight #3 Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) Cover | Lot #46139 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Covers, Al Milgrom Marvel Spotlight #3 Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1979).

Jerry Ordway JLA Index cover.  Link: Jerry Ordway Justice League of America Index #6 Cover Original Art | Lot #46166 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Covers, Jerry Ordway Justice League of America Index #6 Cover Original Art (ICG, 1986)....

Romita Jr Peter Parker Spiderman page with the Sinister Six (well, half of them).  Link: John Romita Jr. and Scott Hanna Peter Parker: Spider-Man #12 Story | Lot #46187 | Heritage Auctions

Original Comic Art:Story Page, John Romita Jr. and Scott Hanna Peter Parker: Spider-Man #12 Story Page 14 Original Art (Mar...

Romita Jr Amazing Spiderman page featuring the Green Goblin.  Link: John Romita Jr. and Randy Elliott The Amazing Spider-Man #24 Story | Lot #46188 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Story Page, John Romita Jr. and Randy Elliott The Amazing Spider-Man #24 Story Page 7 Original Art (Marv...

Bill Sienkiewicz Batman sketch (I think its a prelim to a published Batman cover (Knight Reign?).  Link: Bill Sienkiewicz - Batman Sketch Original Art (undated).... | Lot #46202 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Sketches, Bill Sienkiewicz - Batman Sketch Original Art (undated)....

Batman - Knight Reign Fine Art Print by Bill Sienkiewicz and Sideshow  Collectibles | Popcultcha

Despite the disclaimers in here, and whether those are yours or not, it does seem from your frequent posts in the marketplace like you have items in at least half of the weekly auctions, so it does seem like you're promoting your sales venue tangentially.

Edited by Sean-
I regretted my original tone, this says enough

On 3/4/2024 at 3:20 PM, Sean- said:

Despite the disclaimers in here, and whether those are yours or not, it does seem from your frequent posts in the marketplace like you have items in at least half of the weekly auctions, so it does seem like you're promoting your sales venue tangentially.

I appreciate your response to my posts here and I assure you that I advertise my auctions with full transparency in the art for sale section.  Always.