• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these worth Grading…
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Yeah those books are NOT from the sixties. The one on the right is a reprinted image of Amazing Fantasy 15 which is the cover of Spider-Mans first appearance but it was reprinted in the 2000s which is when these are from I believe.

These are not 1960s books, regardless of what your MIL may have claimed. They were actually distributed as inserts in Sunday newspapers for awhile in 2006/07. You've got the first and last issue of the run.

The AF15 reprint is probably a ~$15 book, give or take a little. It's hard to judge condition from these pictures. Financially, it would only really be worth considering for grading if there was a good chance to get a 9.8; this book has zero chance at a 9.8. The second issue here reprints the second half of ASM 11, and would probably be a slow seller as a ~$5 book and has absolutely no reason to consider grading.

The AF 15 was part of a newspaper giveaway.  It was included free in millions of newspapers.  The series lasted about 24 issues but  I think the last few issues weren't in many papers.  It's a fun series to collect.

Very generally, try to go on ebay and look at "sold" items that match the items you have.  That should give you a ballpark range of values. Keep in mind that condition matters.

As stated above, these particular comics probably aren't worth grading unless they are perfect perfect perfect to your untrained eye.

Also, as stated above, these are reprints that were definitely not purchased in the 60's by anyone.

On 3/1/2024 at 12:00 AM, Larice Walker said:

My MIL bought them new and has had them in storage since 1962/1964.

Our MIL's must get their food from the same grocery store. Mine is full of s**t too!

On 3/1/2024 at 11:17 AM, Qalyar said:

These are not 1960s books, regardless of what your MIL may have claimed. They were actually distributed as inserts in Sunday newspapers for awhile in 2006/07. You've got the first and last issue of the run.

The AF15 reprint is probably a ~$15 book, give or take a little. It's hard to judge condition from these pictures. Financially, it would only really be worth considering for grading if there was a good chance to get a 9.8; this book has zero chance at a 9.8. The second issue here reprints the second half of ASM 11, and would probably be a slow seller as a ~$5 book and has absolutely no reason to consider grading.

The newspaper inserts from that era was how I read spiderman 1 for the first time. 

On 3/1/2024 at 5:21 PM, KCOComics said:

The newspaper inserts from that era was how I read spiderman 1 for the first time. 

It was an interesting idea that didn't take off.  At one point there was talk of a centerfold that would list the comic shops in the newspapers distribution area. 

On 3/1/2024 at 7:41 PM, shadroch said:

It was an interesting idea that didn't take off.  At one point there was talk of a centerfold that would list the comic shops in the newspapers distribution area. 

Yeah - if the point was to get kids interested,  I think they missed the mark.  I was 25 or so and living in an apartment with 2 slobs. 

My Great Aunt use to get the paper and would put aside stuff she thought I would like.  She was a very sweet women who died at the age of 96, 3 or 4 years ago and this brought back good memories. 

Among the articles she would put aside for me, were classified ads of people selling comics.  

On 3/1/2024 at 8:34 PM, KCOComics said:

My Great Aunt use to get the paper and would put aside stuff she thought I would like. 

Among the articles she would put aside for me, were classified ads of people selling comics.  

That is one cool Auntie (thumbsu !