• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The side of a slab looks like it was glued but the code confirms it’s authentic. What could have caused this?
2 2

4 posts in this topic

I don’t have that many slabs, only a few, but I noticed that the side of one of my slabs looks… off. I’m not sure what it’s called but all my slabs have this area on the side of the slab that looks like it was sanded down. Maybe where it was joined together? Anyways, that part on one of my slabs looks very different from the rest. The whole area looks “crusty” and it looks like it was almost glued together. In fact, I notified that there was particle residue coming off when I was inspecting the area. I punched the cgc code in and it confirmed that it was right, so I can’t figure out why this specific slab looks so different from the rest and why it looks like it has crusty, dried glue on its side that’s flaking off. I wasn’t able to get a great photo but I’ll attach it so maybe someone can understand what I’m talking about (it’s the slab on the bottom)

IMG_4119.jpeg

First 2 things to check...

Does the book inside match the title and grade? Meaning someone could slip in a cheaper version like a 2nd print, or a lower grade. If it looks right, probably is right, just a case anomaly.

Is the book worth more than $300-$500? If not, no one has gone to the trouble of messing with a lower value book. It's likely legit.

The book is definitely in that price range, if not more. However, it is a hard numbered book and the number on the cover matches the number on the cgc code. I’m not doubting it’s legit, I’m just trying to figure out why this slab looks so different from the rest. It’s also the only slab I have that has an inner wedge inside it so I was thinking maybe that has something to do with it? 

either way, the fact that the side looks like it was glued and there’s crusty residue flaking off had me confused so I wanted to see if anyone could give some insight 

On 3/1/2024 at 1:23 PM, SpontaneousLobster said:

The book is definitely in that price range, if not more. However, it is a hard numbered book and the number on the cover matches the number on the cgc code. I’m not doubting it’s legit, I’m just trying to figure out why this slab looks so different from the rest. It’s also the only slab I have that has an inner wedge inside it so I was thinking maybe that has something to do with it? 

either way, the fact that the side looks like it was glued and there’s crusty residue flaking off had me confused so I wanted to see if anyone could give some insight 

What I would look for are signs the holder has been opened at either the top, bottom or sides---it's very tough to accomplish this without the holder cracking or showing some type of stress damage. And as long as the grade on the label matches the grade of the book (and all the other information is correct) you should be good.