• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*CLOSED THANKS!* CHARITY thread (All profits to gofundme) please read below
4 4

11 posts in this topic

Community, I’ve contributed but never established one of these. I wish I didn’t have to do so. Sgt. Maj (Retired) Jason Petrakos was my company gunnery sergeant when I served with 2/8 Fox company from 2005 to 2009. He has suffered some sort of sudden onset illness at a very young age. I don’t have details but I wanted to help out above and beyond as much as possible. All books will have shipping covered by myself, within the United States, and as always, should there be any issues, I’m happy to work with the buyer. I’ve dealt with many of you over the past years, I will however, post the transaction to the gofundme once complete for transparency. More on Jason, he is from my home state of Ohio, less than 30 miles from where I grew up. He was what I would have expected from an infantry marine leader, tough but fair, extremely loyal to his marines, and a proven combat leader. To be a leader of character in one of the toughest situations and deployments possible is not easy, and leaving your family on multiple occasions to serve overseas, only to have something like this occur post retirement is a true shame. I am now a first sergeant in the reserve component, and over halfway through the Sergeant Majors Academy myself, so I have not only learned firsthand, but tried to mirror many of the exceptional leadership qualities I witnessed when serving with then ‘gunny’ petrakos. I remember we fondly joked with him when we visited the newly minted Marine Corps museum as his likeness was utilized for one of the wax statues depicting Marines in combat, which was a great choice. That all being said, I hope I’m not breaking any rules with this and if so, I’ll sell these in a standard way, I just wanted to showcase where these were headed. 
link to gofundme: 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/this-brunswick-family-means-so-much-and-is-going-t

As far as payment is concerned, these are going direct to the gofundme, and I’d like to get them to the family as soon as possible. So payment within 24 hours of purchase would be preferred, again, I will post the transactions here. 

Edited by Cornelius The First

Again, if I’m breaking any rules here, please let me know. This is a great cause and this community is one of the best when it comes to fundraising using books that we all enjoy. I think these also fit well with the cause and hopefully net you a cool, rare, older war book where the profits will go directly to a real retired infantry marine. The real deal. Thanks everyone. If there are any additional suggestions, please feel free to reach out. 

On 3/8/2024 at 9:00 AM, gunsmokin said:

Take

Thanks Jim! You also brought up a great point, rather than adding an extra step please feel free to contribute directly to the gofundme page, send me a screenshot and your shipping address, if that is easier and/or preferable. Thanks again.