• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best grade - value for the buck?

12 posts in this topic

what era book you talking about?

for silver, probably 8.5, but you're buying the book not the label anyways, so the grade is just a number right

For silver books, I think 8.5 is a great value and you end up with a great looking book. Generally speaking (and for my budget) you pay a low price as compared to a 9.2 or 9.4 and you get a great looking book.

Recent example: bought an asm #93 at 8.5 for around $55 and it would have cost me ~$400-450 for a 9.4. Nothing wrong with having a 9.4 (I'd love it) but I can't justify the cost to my wife and daughter.

No question... 2.5

And yes, I am being serious.

Low grade books with any kind of decent eye appeal sell very quickly at full guide (or even a slight premium) and they never, ever go down in value. A Good+ copy of X-Men 1, Amazing Spider-Man 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1, etc. is just about the safest, most reliable investment in comics you could possibly make.

No question... 2.5

Low grade books with any kind of decent eye appeal sell very quickly at full guide (or even a slight premium) and they never, ever go down in value. A Good+ copy of X-Men 1, Amazing Spider-Man 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1, etc. is just about the safest, most reliable investment in comics you could possibly make.

That is until Overstreet decides to torque the ratios again. Lots of people who bought books like this in the early 90s have still not seen their books go back to where they purchased them.

No question... 2.5

I'm with you here when it comes to SA-BA keys and any GA books, but random SA+ issues seem to get stuck in the $3 box.

As for value for your buck- GA in any grade apart from Fine you cannot go wrong. There seems to be a divide there between those looking for decent copies in low grade vs. those looking for 'the best' copy.

SA- I think the ultra high grade prices are a complete bubble. I'd stick with F-NM on most issues, but low grade keys will always be great.