• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dark Knight Returns
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Dark Knight Returns 1st Printing volume 1-4 uncirculated ( shipped directly from DC - unopened in original mailers ) looking for value - 

1. Value as is? Any estimates 

2. grading will require to open the mailers - does that pay?

looking for the best way to realize value any suggestions will help

Welcome to the boards!

I'm curious about what you have, because I've never seen any issues of Dark Knight Returns sent from DC.  Dark Knight Returns wasn't typically a mail-order book.  It was offered through direct-market comic shops.  Was there also an option that allowed collectors to order the books directly from DC?  Or is this something that DC mailed to somebody on their "comp" list?  It would be helpful to know more about why DC mailed these particular copies. A quick Google search didn't turn up anything, so I'd love to see pictures of what you have. 

If there's a way for a buyer to know that these are indeed first prints sent by DC, and to determine their condition (because unread/uncirculated can literally be any condition from poor to NM), they'd likely command a premium over non-mailer copies.  However, there's not enough information here yet to know whether grading would be a good route.

There was an ad that advertised subscriptions to this, and if I recall correctly, it was a limited number, maybe 1,000 or 1200.  I don't know if they sent regular copies of if the set is different. I don't recall ever seeing a set for sale

On 3/10/2024 at 3:22 PM, shadroch said:

There was an ad that advertised subscriptions to this, and if I recall correctly, it was a limited number, maybe 1,000 or 1200.  I don't know if they sent regular copies of if the set is different. I don't recall ever seeing a set for sale

I vaguely recall this as well.  It would help if we could get pictures of the mailers, to see what they look like.

Depending on what they look like, I suspect the unopened mailers would command a premium over the opened issues unless you luck into 9.8 on the grading.  But that's just a guess.

Your mailing address is still visible on the 2nd picture.

I would definitely keep them in the mailers; there can't be very many copies still like that.  Not something I'm in the market for, but definitely cool, and even if I'm not a potential buyer I'm sure there's several people out there who would be.

As a set 1-4 usually sells anywhere from about $40 on the low end raw and a higher CGC graded set 9.2-9.6 sells for around $400-$500. This set still in mailers you could probably ask closer to the $400 mark or higher and let someone negotiate down. 

As if they actually all grade out 9.6 to 9.8 they could potentially be more valuable.  (This is not likely, but not impossible.  ) 

Personally the mailers still sealed are a lot cooler. 

What are your thoughts @Cpt Kirk ?

On 3/10/2024 at 11:19 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

As a set 1-4 usually sells anywhere from about $40 on the low end raw and a higher CGC graded set 9.2-9.6 sells for around $400-$500. This set still in mailers you could probably ask closer to the $400 mark or higher and let someone negotiate down. 

As if they actually all grade out 9.6 to 9.8 they could potentially be more valuable.  (This is not likely, but not impossible.  ) 

Personally the mailers still sealed are a lot cooler. 

What are your thoughts @Cpt Kirk ?

Well, if you really want to be nutty like me, here's what you do:

1.  Keep the mailers sealed.

2.  Buy near mint unsealed copies of the books that are contained within the mailers. 

Then you have one of each.  And you can show your like-minded friends (all 2 of them) the comic book in the sealed mailer, and then show them the unsealed comic book as well.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 3/13/2024 at 5:03 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Well, if you really want to be nutty like me, here's what you do:

1.  Keep the mailers sealed.

2.  Buy near mint unsealed copies of the books that are contained within the mailers. 

Then you have one of each.  And you can show your like-minded friends (all 2 of them) the comic book in the sealed mailer, and then show them the unsealed comic book as well.

thanks for the thoughts- i did buy another set to read from the dealers at that time. And yes the comics just by definition of never having been touch and always stored in a sealed bag in a cool not moist environments would make them grade out in the higher range.  

On 3/13/2024 at 8:19 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

by the way, who in the H-E double hockey sticks orders something like that in 1986 and then never opens the mailer?

That would be me - i found out that DC ships stuff so i ordered -  i have a few like that