• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will someone offer some Canadian shipping facts for me?

17 posts in this topic

Hi. What are options for shipping a single CGC-graded book to Canada from the US? How long does it take? Roughly how much? Can you insure the package on any of these shipping options? Do I have to fill out annoying customs forms? Should I think of more to ask? smile.gif

Thanks!

1) For small packages that aren't too expensive, the best options are:

Airmail LetterPost (up to 4 lbs I think) - fastest, least expensive

Global Priority - More expensive and slower IMHO.

These don't offer Insurance options, though there is a specialized Global Priority option that allows for insurance, but it cost more before insurance.

Customs is a simple Green Sticker with Goods (use "Magazines", not Comics), and Value (EBay sales price, NOT Guide Price or some Price you pick out of your butt)

2) For more expensive packages that require insurance:

Airmail Parcel Post - more expensive than LetterPost, but insurance is a snap.

Customs is a larger white declaration form that requires address, goods, value, etc. and insurance amount.

No matter which method you use, DO NOT send Ground, or as we refer to it "Ground Up" tongue.gif

Air mail is the only way to go, whether to or from Canada. I can send a book up there in less than a week via air. Via surface it may not make it at all, it goes by train, camel, or some slower method.

I won a book a long while back, the insufficiently_thoughtful_person shipped it to me parcel post, or surface, it took 90 days to make it from Cnanda to the USA.

Had he spent the extra dollar, it would have been on a aplane and here in no time at all.

A CGC book costs less than 10.00 to ship to Canada. I think the last one I sent was 7.00 or so?

Whatever you do don't ship it UPS. I live in Canada,and there's no feeling like sending 14 U.S for shipping then getting a UPS "brokerage" fee for 35 Canadian on top.

UPS is a big scam. They like to promote their "low shipping rates" but then make their money on the back-end, like the Mafia.

I've only received one package UPS. It was a lot I purchased for $5; I paid US Post Air, received it UPS and somehow the UPS guy stated it was valued at $200 USD and I had a big bill.

So I told the guy to send it back. He looked at me like I was crazy, asked again for the money and I literally had to close the door on him, he was so insistent. It seemed as if these guys are on comission or something. grin.gif

It turns out the seller used his workplace to ship, in order to scam the shipping fees for himself, and THEY sent it UPS. So it was one big scam all around.

If I may add one bit of information; for higher-premium items, its a good idea to ask your buyer if they would prefer to be able to trace their package. In my experience, USPS Express Mail Service (EMS) offers the best bang for your buck; signature delvery, internet tracking and decent enough delivery time. Nothing gets on my nerves more than USPS's policy on 30 days before they can initiate a trace.

It turns out the seller used his workplace to ship, in order to scam the shipping fees for himself, and THEY sent it UPS. So it was one big scam all around.

Leave it to you to uncover yet another conspiracy....

UPS is a big scam. They like to promote their "low shipping rates" but then make their money on the back-end, like the Mafia.

I feel the same way (the MAFIA part) about customs, and most of the brokerage houses sitting pretty at the border grin.gif

>>Leave it to you to uncover yet another conspiracy....

Where's the conspiracy? An EBay seller wanted to up his profit margin so was siphoning shipments through his workplace for free. I'd say that is likely common, and the only reason I discovered that was through UPS and asking the guy about it.

If scamming shipping fees is a conspiracy, you must lead a very dull life.