• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever spray-painted a wire closet shelf?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I'm talking about the ones most dealers use...when inverted you can display comics on them easily.

They only come in white and I'd like to get some in black, so the only option would be to spray-paint them. They have that coating on the surface, though.

Anyone? Thanks for the help.

Is the coating plastic or rubber? They do have paints that are made to bond to those surfaces. 

On 3/11/2024 at 1:40 PM, CAHokie said:

Is the coating plastic or rubber? They do have paints that are made to bond to those surfaces. 

I'm not really sure. If it can't be done cheaply I'll just suck it up and go with the white, but wanted to ask first in case someone already did it.

On 3/11/2024 at 1:45 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

It would probably be better to plasti-dip them, as you wouldn't want any paint to transfer to the comics.

Yeah, that's why I thought I'd ask here. I don't need a mess. Lol. 

On 3/11/2024 at 12:49 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Yeah, that's why I thought I'd ask here. I don't need a mess. Lol. 

:gossip:

Plasti-Dip comes in a spray paint can. It can be found at the same places as most other spray paints. The only difference is as it sounds it is plastic and it can be peeled off. It may be worth just buying 1 can and testing it as you should be able to peel it off if you do not like the results.  I would also test it to see if some books sitting on it would cause it to peel or transfer,  but I would think it would be less likely to transfer than cheap spray paint. 

On 3/11/2024 at 1:45 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

It would probably be better to plasti-dip them, as you wouldn't want any paint to transfer to the comics.

Yep, that’s exactly what I had in mind. It has a wide variety of colors as well.

Seems like there would be all kinds of uses for spray-on rubber...

Rough up the surface first with sandpaper, then prime it then paint it the color of your choice. It ain't rocket science and there are small 8" rollers that'll make things go by pretty quickly. A good paint will last decades too.