• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to start
1 1

5 posts in this topic

First, get a million dollars...

Is there something in particular that interests you about that characters? A particular story line or era? Are you looking for suggestions on stories and runs? 

I grew up in the 90s when McFarlane was a house hold name.  So when I was really into reading comics I read a lot of stuff from that era.  As I got older I began to appreciate Ditko and Romita Sr art and bought a ton of SA spideys. 

Then I traded or sold nearly all my Spidey Books as my taste changed to  GA and Atomic age books. The circle of collecting life. 

The first step is to decide if you want to read or read and collect. If you are undecided then I would recommend starting with just reading and not buying any physical media. Since you mainly pointed out Spider-Man and Cap you can check out Marvel Unlimited as a way to check out "newer" releases.

As a recommendation I would stick to reading releases from 2000+ at first then start slipping in story arcs from the 60s-90s. I say this since if you didn't grow up in the time frame even amazing story arcs can be slightly difficult to get in to. If you do find something you want to eventually purchase, I wouldn't buy it new as most TPBs and Omnibus collections can be found on the secondary market much cheaper.