• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pull up a chair. Let's you and I have a discussion...
1 1

54 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2024 at 10:27 PM, szav said:

Are you saying whoever paid $4,300 for this after he "evolved his style quite a bit" didn't get a great deal?

image.png.b9df7b45a6b35b1c34400ef1d2b5b791.png

image.png.a86176884307db5a7a065fc14c54ad1f.png

thats-a-man-baby-gif-6-gif.196789

On 3/14/2024 at 10:22 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again - Frank Miller - DC Comics - DK2 - Picture 1 of 3

Bingo.

Thought-provoking thread; thank you. I’m very much of two minds on Miller: the case for his impact is easy. It’s almost impossible to overstate his impact. But I didn’t get a lot of enjoyment out of much of it. But that’s me as an individual.

while he reignited Batman with DKR, I found the art hard to look at. The story of a dystopian Batman was fascinating like a train wreck. I always thought the big miss was to dismiss Superman as a caricature, a mere metaphor for Big, Bad Establishment, rather than reinvigorate him as well in the conflict of archetypes. I found Year One a lot more entertaining. 

He certainly (along with Claremont) fleshed out Wolverine and helped create the persona that moved the character to center stage, taking the X-Men from an ensemble cast to one that rode on his back. I’m not a huge fan personally of the brooding, angry anti-hero that constantly has to tell you he’s a bad@ss but I cannot deny he’s widely popular.

With Daredevil, he took a 20-plus years established character and completely rebuilt his mythos quite systematically: he borrowed and amplified Kingpin, brought back and repositioned Bullseye, retconned in two major characters into DD’s history (Elektra and Stick), turned Gladiator into a sympathetic, full character… I read it because it was new and different, but it was still fifth read in my stack each issue, behind Avengers, Iron Man, X-Men, Defenders. Again, not squarely my taste, but massively impactful on the medium.

Ronin? I still want the time back from reading that. But a lot of people liked it.

I prefer reading the bright, sunny worlds of Shooter/Perez/Marcos Avengers (or Byrne/Green), or the Michelinie/JRJR/Layton Iron Man, but Miller’s dark and gritty penchant had huge impact. 

On 3/14/2024 at 11:42 PM, NoMan said:

Ronin was very bad. Never got into the Sin City stuff.

But has far as the FULL ON SUCKAGE, I think there was a Batman and Robin kinda comic. Then there was the 9/11 one or something...

I really liked Ronin when it came out. It seemed groundbreaking. Of course, I was 11, so maybe not the best judge. One of these days I'll read it again.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:42 PM, NoMan said:

Ronin was very bad. Never got into the Sin City stuff.

But has far as the FULL ON SUCKAGE, I think there was a Batman and Robin kinda comic. Then there was the 9/11 one or something...

You are on crack if you think RONIN was very bad.

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 6:35 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

You are on crack if you think RONIN was very bad.

I've smoked plenty of crack. Who knows, I may have sold my original run of Ronin to buy more crack, however, that being said, the crack-pipe was a better investment than any time or money spent with/on Ronin

Edited by NoMan

I bought the Ronin TPB like 12 years ago and I haven't been able to get past the first few pages. It's perpetually in my next-to-read pile. (shrug)

Posted about this before on the topic of Ronin, that at the time of its publication I was reading European material such as in Heavy Metal and not just mainstream American comics, and I felt Ronin had more in common with the former, and I didn’t mind it being so very different to Daredevil. Alternatively, later on I started reading manga, and it also (obviously) fit in well there too.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/15/2024 at 12:26 AM, FlyingDonut said:

This is really quite horrible:
CDN media

Ya’ know? I kinda like it (funny what a color pallet is capable of)

Comic bookie stuff can be comic bookie too every so often

On 3/14/2024 at 8:02 PM, NoMan said:

WHEN DID FRANK MILLER'S ART/STORIES START TO SUCK SOOOOOOOO BAD!

Where I first noticed it was Daredevil. Ruined the series for me.

I was never a big Miller fan, but did like his Daredevil run and I thought he started to slip with Dark Knight Returns. But the story compensated greatly. Where I always felt his talent laid was in the layout. Very creative.