• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader Notes on CGC 9.8
1 1

6 posts in this topic

If you saw these grader notes on a CGC 9.8, how would it make you feel about the grade? Personally, it makes me think this is a soft 9.8. Is that the wrong way to interpret this?

Grader Notes
very light wear breaks color

On 3/15/2024 at 10:27 AM, The Lions Den said:

I've seen numerous examples of 9.8 graded books having notes. I'm actually appreciative when CGC enters grading notes for books like this, because they're basically saying without this flaw it may have graded at a 9.9 or 10... :foryou:

That's the real question, isn't it? Are they saying the book was nearly a 9.9 but for that flaw or are they saying it's essentially a 9.7 (strong 9.6 / weak 9.8)? I look at it as the latter since grader notes on 9.8s are not the norm.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:37 AM, MadGenius said:

That's the real question, isn't it? Are they saying the book was nearly a 9.9 but for that flaw or are they saying it's essentially a 9.7 (strong 9.6 / weak 9.8)? I look at it as the latter since grader notes on 9.8s are not the norm.

To quote the honorable Frank Zappa (may God bless his mischievous soul): "I figure the odds be 50/50..."  :preach:

On 3/15/2024 at 9:37 AM, MadGenius said:

Are they saying the book was nearly a 9.9 but for that flaw or are they saying it's essentially a 9.7 (strong 9.6 / weak 9.8)?

Likely both are true--without the flaw it could be a 9.9 but with the flaw it's a 9.8 (which I guess since you're inventing grades would be anything from a 9.7 to a 9.84).