• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canada customs now charging duties for returned submissions?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I've just received my latest submission back, and on this shipment, Canada Customs charged import fees - that's never happened before.  The documentation shows a commodity classification and description of "Plastic cases installed on comic book". Has CGC changed anything on how they ship out and return to Canada? If I am now being charged import fees for getting my own books back, this becomes a serious consideration to submitting books at all. I understand CGC does not control Canada Customs, but, something has changed so I assume that CGC changed the paperwork which triggered Canada Customs to now apply this import fee. Perhaps this is a one-off, but I won't know until my next shipment which is to be delivered to you today I believe. 

• Administrator

Hello @Stormtrooper_Pete,

We have not changed anything noted on our submissions being returned to customers. That said, earlier this month we did share some more instructions on INTL Returns that you can review HERE. I would suggest reaching out to your local customs office for more information on this. I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

On 3/15/2024 at 1:35 PM, Stormtrooper_Pete said:

I've just received my latest submission back, and on this shipment, Canada Customs charged import fees - that's never happened before.  The documentation shows a commodity classification and description of "Plastic cases installed on comic book". Has CGC changed anything on how they ship out and return to Canada? If I am now being charged import fees for getting my own books back, this becomes a serious consideration to submitting books at all. I understand CGC does not control Canada Customs, but, something has changed so I assume that CGC changed the paperwork which triggered Canada Customs to now apply this import fee. Perhaps this is a one-off, but I won't know until my next shipment which is to be delivered to you today I believe. 

Did they charge you on the grading fees or value of the books? 

@Tbone911t it appears to be a flat rate, there's no breakdown and no indicator of a % against an amount. The email from FedEx says I can call another dep't to ask, but I haven't had the chance yet. I've got another submission in now, so let's see what happens with that when it gets sent back. 

On 3/18/2024 at 2:03 PM, Stormtrooper_Pete said:

@Tbone911t it appears to be a flat rate, there's no breakdown and no indicator of a % against an amount. The email from FedEx says I can call another dep't to ask,

Was the Fed Ex charge about $76 plus GST for border brokerage fee for parcel to enter Canada? UPS may charge a similar flat rate fee.

@aardvark88 no it was less. Just under $25, but this was a small submission, low value even. The submission in process now is larger so I’ll have to wait and see what happens. If it’s just $25 each time I guess that’s easy enough to factor into overall costs, but if it varies then I’ll have to dig into it further with CBSA. 

On 3/18/2024 at 4:35 PM, Stormtrooper_Pete said:

@aardvark88 no it was less. Just under $25, but this was a small submission, low value even. but if it varies then I’ll have to dig into it further with CBSA. 

Even if the (UPS) parcel is relatively low value of say $100 USD, UPS still could charge u the border brokerage fee of $76 loonies plus tax just to bring the box across the border to Canada.

I find Canada Customs is much more aggressive than it use to be. The couriers are worse than regular US Post. The couriers add on mystery charges where as the US Post to Canada Post connection is usually around 15%. There was a class action lawsuit against UPS for overcharging customs fees.  If you insure a package at a big price you are likely to get nabbed. Years ago most packages sent US Post never got a customs charge. Now it is the opposite. Most stuff gets nabbed, especially if you have an invoice on the package.  You can also ask to ship without insurance or an invoice and a low value on the package. I have done this for many years. People say it's risky but I've never had a problem. But you should probably have an established relationship with the sender. I've have people refuse to put a low value on the package, which is their right. But we are so overtaxed in Canada it is ridiculous. A hike in energy tax kicks in tomorrow, need I say more.