• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blank Cover Recommendations
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I asked in the Noob thread a few days ago, but maybe more seasoned collectors don’t look at that anymore.

Is there a broadly trusted online vendor for NM+ condition raw blank comics for SS use?

Are there particular blanks you’ve gotten negative feedback about from artists?  I’ve heard some are not great for sketching.

On 3/16/2024 at 2:30 PM, Sean- said:

I asked in the Noob thread a few days ago, but maybe more seasoned collectors don’t look at that anymore.

Is there a broadly trusted online vendor for NM+ condition raw blank comics for SS use?

Are there particular blanks you’ve gotten negative feedback about from artists?  I’ve heard some are not great for sketching.

I haven't gotten many blanks graded. But the lowest I got on one was a 9.6. And I have ordered some from multiple different places online. So, not sure there is one better then the other to buy from. The only ones I've had complaints from artists on are, on rare occasions, some have almost a glossy sheen on it that makes it particularly hard to work with if they are being colored. But, the only one or two I've had that issue on, they felt it and said it could be an issue. I personally couldn't tell be feel what the issue was. But artists definitely can. By the way. I have gotten probably in the 40-50 range of sketches on blanks, and only got a complaint about the cover like twice. So, definitely its rare.

No one particular vendor, you just need to keep an eye out for what's coming out in previews or keep up with what is coming out and grab the ones that you want. A lot of online and brick and mortar places will order more and give a better price if they have the money up front. Otherwise you take the risk that someone walks in and grabs the one or two copies they probably ordered.

Blanks from the beginning of the sketch cover era are hit and miss. Avengers #1 was great quality but Gen 13 #1 was pretty horrible. Most of the manufacturers have heard from enough people to know to do better these days than a glossy blank. 

On 3/19/2024 at 11:27 AM, Mayor006 said:

No one particular vendor, you just need to keep an eye out for what's coming out in previews or keep up with what is coming out and grab the ones that you want. A lot of online and brick and mortar places will order more and give a better price if they have the money up front. Otherwise you take the risk that someone walks in and grabs the one or two copies they probably ordered.

Blanks from the beginning of the sketch cover era are hit and miss. Avengers #1 was great quality but Gen 13 #1 was pretty horrible. Most of the manufacturers have heard from enough people to know to do better these days than a glossy blank. 

Image United and the Glossy Secret Invasion blanks were universally panned, but you would have to try and find those. Most everything that has been done from 2013 or 2014 on have been pretty good.

On 3/19/2024 at 12:03 PM, seanfingh said:

Image United and the Glossy Secret Invasion blanks were universally panned, but you would have to try and find those. Most everything that has been done from 2013 or 2014 on have been pretty good.

True, the last cover I had that got a complaint was an X-Men blank from 2010. The person I got to sketch on it normally does water colors for the colors. And he had to leave it mostly pencil and ink because he had trouble with the paint taking forever to dry on the cover.