• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Jason Ewert and Pedigreed comics

40 posts in this topic

I just finished reading the majority of the threads about Jason Ewert from the last two months and I checked all of the comics I've purchased against the lists supplied by Bronzebruce (great work, btw). It turns out I've got three that came from JE. Two of them -- ASM #56 CGC 9.4 (serial #0121882018) and ASM #57 CGC 9.4 (serial #021883001) -- are both marked as "Pacific Coast". Perhaps this is a dumb question, but would it be reasonable to assume that these two books were not submitted to CGC for grading by JE?

Or, in other words, can a pedigreed comic be taken out of its holder and resubmitted while retaining the same pedigree? confused.gif

Edited to add -- Comics labels -- "Pacific Coast"

Or, in other words, can a pedigreed comic be taken out of its holder and resubmitted while retaining the same pedigree? confused.gif

No.

Are you sure about this? As long as the documentation is intact, the pedigree stands if I recall correctly...

That's how you can have Mile Highs, with a little "gentle lovin' care", be resubmitted for higher grades...

Jim

So these two comics were definitely not submitted by JE?

That's not what i said.

At that time (i mean before the Ewertgate), he was a big dealer with, I think, a certain influence.

And btw he could have the prove that the raw books he 's submitted to CGC were Pacific Coast copies. confused-smiley-013.gif

They could have been submitted by JC. If work was done on them, they would come back PLOD. There are PLOD Mile Highs. So, you have to assume that they came into CGC raw or were resubmits. The work on them doesn't matter doesn't change the fact an issue is of a certain pedigree just that the pedigree can be verified.

So these two comics were definitely not submitted by JE?

Not the case. I am certain that Jason would have been able to resub and, given his relationship with SB, they would have taken the previous CGC label as sufficient proof of the pedigree.

Along with JE's notes on why it should grade higher, I'm sure.... smirk.gif

Awesome, i supposed that the book were sent to CGC without justification of their pedigree.

I mean, i have some CGC Winnipeg books, but if i crack the slab to resubmit them, how can i prove the pedigree ?

You'll need the previous CGC label...and friends in the right places. thumbsup2.gif

Don't forget that many pedigree books have been designated as such because the submitter in question (BSD) was 'trusted' by CGC.

So, basically you are screwed... insane.gif

Awe4one, i supposed that the book were sent to CGC without justification of their pedigree.

I mean, i have some CGC Winnipeg books, but if i crack the slab to resubmit them, how can i prove the pedigree ?

True...but I'm sure the resubmits either had the old label or a certificate to verify. The issue is if CGC notices, or cares about, the increase in grade during the resubmit...

A certification company should be looking at these resubmits to either:

Confirm their previous grading was correct...or...

Confirm what the difference was between submissions....

The changes in grade certainly doesn't relect well on them...

Jim

True...but I'm sure the resubmits either had the old label or a certificate to verify. The issue is if CGC notices, or cares about, the increase in grade during the resubmit...

They obviously don`t.

A certification company should be looking at these resubmits to either:

Confirm their previous grading was correct...or...

Confirm what the difference was between submissions....

The changes in grade certainly doesn't relect well on them...

Yup, I`ve been saying this for a while. Resubs of pedigrees, particularly prominent ones like Church books, are freebies for CGC to grade consistently. I KNOW those guys remember when they`ve seen Church or other notable pedigreed books before, they could even grade the resub objectively and then afterwards see how the new grade compares to the old grade, and if there`s a significant change they should start wondering why. And yet they don`t, which is just willful negligence.

How is it I can submit a book with a Metro mylar indicating the pedigree and expect it to be noted even though I could swap the book out if I wished, but cannot expect it to be noted if I submit a previously slabbed book with the slab label indicating the pedigree?

That's lame.

How is it I can submit a book with a Metro mylar indicating the pedigree and expect it to be noted even though I could swap the book out if I wished, but cannot expect it to be noted if I submit a previously slabbed book with the slab label indicating the pedigree?

Who said you can`t? I`m pretty sure that if you submit a pedigree book with the previous label, it`ll get re-recognized as a pedigree.

I would assume that the Mark Haspel at CGC knows his pedigrees pretty well by now and can determine fairly accurately whether a book fits the parameters of a particular pedigree's profile. When I submit pedigree books I try to provide as much supporting documentation or contact numbers as I can. So far so good.

Red