• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calgary Expo April 25-28, 2024 - Todd McFarlane just announced
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2024 at 11:35 AM, kimik said:

Nice addition of the Toddfather as a Creator Guest today.

Was wondering why several Spawn #1's were being snapped up at the past weekend's PNE Show in Vancouver, BC.

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 9:19 PM, aardvark88 said:

Was wondering why several Spawn #1's were being snapped up at the past weekend's PNE Show in Vancouver, BC.

At what price? Stores here have them at $40. Not sure how they sell

Edited by kimik

On 4/11/2024 at 6:18 AM, kimik said:

At what price? Stores here have them at $40. Not sure how they sell

I sold my Spawn 1 for $45. Folks don't want the ones signed by colorist Ken Steacy locally. Collectors want raw copies for the Todd-father's sig. U will do great at Calgary Expo as long as the Bank of greggy visits your team.

Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 10:29 AM, aardvark88 said:

I sold my Spawn 1 for $45. Folks don't want the ones signed by colorist Ken Steacy locally. Collectors want raw copies for the Todd-father's sig. U will do great at Calgary Expo as long as the Bank of greggy visits your team.

Nice price. Looks like I will pull out the copies I have and price them for the show. Newsstand copies will be $100+

The Bank of Greggy is too tight with moderns. We need the ToddFather fans to drop by.

Edited by kimik

It looks like the exhibitor list is available.  I see CGC Grading listed as an exhibitor. It would be great if they were taking submissions.  Anyone know for sure?

Al

On 4/12/2024 at 7:34 PM, Alzabar said:

I see CGC Grading listed as an exhibitor. It would be great if they were taking submissions. 

Al

fyi, Grosnor-CGC did not show up for the 2.5 day Western Sports and Collectibles Show in the suburbs of Vancouver, BC for the weekend of April 14, 2024. Guess Grosnor picked up enough comics and VHS submissions at last week's huge Vancouver Comic and Toy Show's 2 day pop culture event.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:37 AM, kimik said:

Nice price. Looks like I will pull out the copies I have and price them for the show. Newsstand copies will be $100+

The Bank of Greggy is too tight with moderns. We need the ToddFather fans to drop by.

They were out in force today. 

Has anyone been able to get a CGC SS witness for a Todd signing at this event?  The voucher states that it is not authorized, but I know CGC (Grosner Dist.).

My son and I will be waiting in line to get two items signed.  However, if I can be certain to get a CGC witness... it would change what we bring to get signed.

Any info is greatly appreciated, since this is our first time attending the Calgary Expo.

Cheers!

That is a wrap for Calgary 2024. It was a busy show this year. If you dropped by our 8-booth island (1717) you would have dealt with one of @thirdgreenham @thehumantorch @500Club @Artboy99 @Quicksilver Signs or I. It was great to have @greggy and @joeypost join us for most of the weekend as well. 

It was interesting to observe the buying trends. Talking with other comic sellers, Thursday was a good night across the board which is not usually the case. I have noticed the past couple of Expos that the GA/SA/BA buyers have started to show up on Thursday early Friday to avoid the peak crowds as the aisles get jammed up. 

Friday and Saturday were more of a retail sales day with copper/modern and books tied to artists at the show selling steadily. 

Sunday was a bigger day than the past two Expos, with a much younger crowd which is great for the hobby here IMHO. It was mostly 12-25 year olds buying steadily all day. At one point, a regular customer my age commented to me while paying that he keeps hearing that the hobby is dying/getting older, yet at the time we had 20 or so teenagers - mid 20s male and female collectors pulling out stacks to buy.

There were also plenty of families buying books, with moms/dads/both focusing on their collections and their teenage children filling runs. That was fun to see.  

One comment I did hear from a few customers was that local stores in Calgary have cut shelf stock back so tight that if they miss pre-ordering they cannot find copies. While that is great for us resellers at the shows, it does make me wonder how many store owners have made a conscious decision to order too tight or if they are in financial troubles. I hope it is the former and that they are just ordering more carefully now.

Whew , busy show.  

Sales were pretty good.  Sold a few higher value books but not a lot.  Mostly $10 to $100 stuff and lots of books out our $3 bins.  Of course anything Mcfarlane related moved, all our Spawn #1 and #9 and various issues from the run, various ASM Mcfarlane issues with a lot of requests for #316, Spider-Man #1s I think we sold 6 copies, his first DC cover infinity  #14  sold and the buyer came back and showed us the book with a Mcfarlane sig and it looked wonderful.  All kinds of stuff sold, there’s no understanding the hundreds of odd sales.  I think that’s great as while there are the usual popular characters there are fans and buyers for almost any character that was published for a while

And a regular buyer who own a video game store told us about his experience with Mcfarlane.  Got a call from Mcfarlane’s nephew saying Mcfarlane would like to come to his store for a signing.  Didn’t want a lot of advance publicity to limit the crowd.  McFarlane showed up at noon and walked down the line and said hello to everyone and then signed from 12:30 pm to 9 pm.  Without a break.  1100 people.  For free.  That’s someone who doesn’t need any more money and just wants to give back and is a pretty good human being.