• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calgary Expo April 25-28, 2024 - Todd McFarlane just announced
1 1

48 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2024 at 11:38 AM, thehumantorch said:

Thought I'd share a story of a customer at the show. 

His son, who is special needs, told him he wanted to go somewhere but didn't want to tell him where.  Dad asks why don't you want to tell me and tells his son you don't have to hide anything from me I love you and won't judge you.  Son tells him he wants to go to the Calgary Comiccon.  Dad laughs and takes him downstairs and shows him a trunk with his old comic collection which he hasn't looked at in 40 years. 

So now they're at comiccon and dad comes to my booth looking for Tomb of Dracula 1-4.  I had 2-4 so he asked about trade and pulled out a stack of Byrne X-men.  Most of his books were in rotted old bags and were generally midgrade.  So we did a trade and I bought the rest off him.   One of the books he wanted to keep so I tossed it in nice new bag and board.  He couldn't believe the difference.  He told me he'd be back tomorrow with more books.  Next day he's back with more X-men and his plan is to sell them to us and look for a Tomb #1.  Artboy goes over to another dealer knows well and buys a lower grade Tomb #1 for half of his sticker price.  We bought his books and sold him the Tomb #1 for what Artboy paid for it and he was thrilled.  

And he told me he took the book I had bagged and boarded home and showed it to his brother and they spent an hour talking about the book and how beautiful it looked and about buying comics when they were kids.  Sometimes a 20 cent investment makes the world.  I'm pretty sure he'll be back and he'll be collecting comics in the future.

And as a follow up I had a guy come to my booth on the last day.  He's looking for the first appearance of Dazzler.  I show him the copy I had bought off dad and offer him a fair price.  After years of doing this I had very bad vibes about this customer and knew what was coming, he counters at 50%.  Sure it's a common book but it's currently a hot book and I paid more for it.  I didn't even counter I just put it away.  I treat my customers fairly and when someone lowballs me the discussion is over.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:03 AM, batmiesta said:

:taptaptap:

I don't think he will ever let me live this one down.  I sent out his package and put in $400 for the total price of the 30 books but I neglected to notice that the stupid price was per book so they wanted him to pay fees on $12,000!!  I'll look a lot more carefully on the next one - thank goodness E-Bay takes care of all that stuff when I sell books to people up north.

On 5/1/2024 at 1:29 PM, 1Cool said:

I don't think he will ever let me live this one down.  I sent out his package and put in $400 for the total price of the 30 books but I neglected to notice that the stupid price was per book so they wanted him to pay fees on $12,000!!  I'll look a lot more carefully on the next one - thank goodness E-Bay takes care of all that stuff when I sell books to people up north.

I love messing with you cuz it's fun. 

Thankfully, these are pity books that I don't care about.

xoxo

greggy

On 5/1/2024 at 9:29 PM, 1Cool said:

Chicken feed to Wor Greg. 

On 5/1/2024 at 6:55 PM, thehumantorch said:

And as a follow up I had a guy come to my booth on the last day.  He's looking for the first appearance of Dazzler.  I show him the copy I had bought off dad and offer him a fair price.  After years of doing this I had very bad vibes about this customer and knew what was coming, he counters at 50%.  Sure it's a common book but it's currently a hot book and I paid more for it.  I didn't even counter I just put it away.  I treat my customers fairly and when someone lowballs me the discussion is over.

What a bell end. 

On 5/1/2024 at 5:24 PM, thehumantorch said:

I see a lot of complaints about greedy dealers but there's jerks and good guys on both sides of the table

there was another guy who was interested in one of our Secret Wars 8 Canadian price variants and he asked me to hold it on Saturday around lunch time. Near the end of Sunday he returns and offered half the sticker.

After enough of these instances I believe I have a good sense of how to spot most of them. I did not hold the book and left it on display right where he saw it earlier. Exactly why are we holding it? If it is because you as the potential buyer need to go to the ATM then tell us, otherwise I assume you are up to something fishy

On 5/2/2024 at 8:39 AM, Artboy99 said:

there was another guy who was interested in one of our Secret Wars 8 Canadian price variants and he asked me to hold it on Saturday around lunch time. Near the end of Sunday he returns and offered half the sticker.

After enough of these instances I believe I have a good sense of how to spot most of them. I did not hold the book and left it on display right where he saw it earlier. Exactly why are we holding it? If it is because you as the potential buyer need to go to the ATM then tell us, otherwise I assume you are up to something fishy

Dirty pool