• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Example of the type of auction I despise

15 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

"avg 5.0 - 7.0"

Then you look at the first book in the picture. I would have a very tough time giving that book a 5.0.

Yet someone is willing to pay 152 dollars for the lot.

Ok ok, I admit it, I am just angry that the price for these READERS has skyrocketed.

Anyone know where a guy can find readers without paying 7.0 prices for 3.0 books?

Artboy99

yeah, i would not cite showcase prices as the type of prices out there. the price of readers has certainly not skyrocketed.

with that said, and of course you can only see part of the covers, but the other 3 books shown could certainly be 5.0s or better.

and anyway, assuming the others are better than the 101 (a big assumption), $6 a book for those books isn't outrageous. There's some good stuff in there. I might price a little lower on the later stuff, but on the earlier stuff, that's probably how I'd price a lot of those if they were bona fide 6.0s, 7.0s:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVENGERS-129-THOR-KA...7QQcmdZViewItem

(and yes, I've actually sold about 75% of the avengers books I listed at these sorts of prices)

True readers, more like half of that:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVENGERS-101-HARLAN-...7QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze age Avengers are pretty popular right now. Silver age 12 centers other than a few keys, not so hot as far as I can tell.

I guess as a buyer you are paying a slight premium for the fact that the lot is a complete run.

I dont want to have to buy single issues and try to put the run together, I just want the "instant reader collection" but I wanted to pay a reasonable price for it rather than VF+ guide. Again, I wouldnt mind paying VF guide if all the books are that condition, and as everyone here is saying SNE is notorious for mixing their junk in with the good stuff.

Artboy99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

"avg 5.0 - 7.0"

Then you look at the first book in the picture. I would have a very tough time giving that book a 5.0.

Yet someone is willing to pay 152 dollars for the lot.

Ok ok, I admit it, I am just angry that the price for these READERS has skyrocketed.

Anyone know where a guy can find readers without paying 7.0 prices for 3.0 books?

Artboy99

I happen to have a few Avengers from 100-200, 20 or so, that I'd consider readers that I'd be happy to unload for cheap. Toss me a list and I'll get you what I have. I had a lot more, tilleycs bled my Avengers dry! =)

"that's alot of $$$ for some pretty common books..."

it's $6.00 a book for a run of 20 cent and early 25 cent cover price Avengers. there are some semi-keyish issues in that run like an x-men cross-over that is popular and some stuff goes on in the early 100s too. I would not be surprised by a group like this getting that money if each book had a big scan and they were bonifide 7.0s. If they're all 5.0s, maybe not. can you get them cheaper elsewhere? sure, but not everyone is a bargain hunter/bottom feeder.

that's a lot if they all look like the one on the top, not so much if the other ones look a lot better. don't know how the buyer can assume the others are nicer, I wouldn't, but who knows what their thinking is. yeah, $150+ is a lot of money to plunk down on these books when you have no idea what they look like.

as for buying books individually to fill in a run... if someone has them listed in their store consercutively, maybe it's easier.

showcase-new-england auctions are always doing very strong prices.

Don't know why... Grading is often weak.

weak? It's a lot worse than that. The prices they get always confuse me.

I think it has to do with the fact that they continually have alot of comic collections up for sale. Customers go to them because they have the comics. But their prices are too high considering their grading accuracy.

confused-smiley-013.gif