• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Concerning Population report statistics
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been tracking the historical data on a few cards and I wanted to share something that is highly concerning in regards to grading standards. Specifically for 2016 XY Evolutions Holo Charizard.

I tracked this card in particular because it is a very difficult to grade Holo (or was).

In October 14, 2022 there were 5716 submissions, 1 Pristine, 110 Gem Mint.

March 24, 2024 there are 6957 submissions, 4 Pristine, 220 Gem Mint.

It took 1241 submissions for the most recent 3 Pristine and 110 Gem Mint in contrast to the first 1/110 in 5716.

Now I ask - did CGC just decide to loosen the grading standards for achieving these grades? Because this particular sample of data is not even remotely similar to 2022's statistics. As a collector - this is worrisome.

• Administrator

Hello @Kevin McShane

Thank you for reaching out to us. CGC Cards has not implemented more lenient grading standards over this period. However, we did announce changes to the grading scene in June 2023, specifically removing Gem Mint 9.5 and adding Mint+ 9.5 and Gem Mint 10. With this change, Gem Mint 9.5 grades were updated to Gem Mint 10. This is the only change implemented, however, if you specifically look at the Gem Mint counts this change would not have impacted these numbers in the population. 

I am sorry that based on the population data alone, I cannot determine the reason for the shift in frequency for this specific card grade and type. Each card received for grading is graded based on the condition it is received. When your cards are graded, multiple CGC Cards professionals examine every card aided by advanced technology, ensuring the highest level of accuracy and consistency. Each grader enters their grade into CGC Cards’ proprietary system. A consensus is then reached on the final grade of the card and this team effort ensures that the final grade is consistent with our grading scale and processes. TCG and non-sports experts evaluate those types of cards, while sports card experts evaluate sports.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know. 

Maybe you can mention to whom is in charge of relaxing the grading standards... That I'm being pushed away from CGC because of it... And not the other way around. It used to be challenging to obtain a Gem Mint grade... Now it's becoming more like PSA. Just give Gem Mint to everything close enough. 

They can say nothing has changed all they want... But the numbers don't lie. The numbers say exactly what is going on. 461% increase in Gem Mint frequency is not just a coincidence... It is a clear change in what is considered Gem Mint. 

Like I mentioned - I'm not just tracking this specific card - and the standards for Gem Mint have been relaxed across the board. The only reason I submitted through CGC was because they USED to be more strict. Let the team know. Strict is better. Rarity is better. Low population is better. 

On 3/27/2024 at 10:15 AM, Kevin McShane said:

Maybe you can mention to whom is in charge of relaxing the grading standards... That I'm being pushed away from CGC because of it... And not the other way around. It used to be challenging to obtain a Gem Mint grade... Now it's becoming more like PSA. Just give Gem Mint to everything close enough. 

They can say nothing has changed all they want... But the numbers don't lie. The numbers say exactly what is going on. 461% increase in Gem Mint frequency is not just a coincidence... It is a clear change in what is considered Gem Mint. 

Like I mentioned - I'm not just tracking this specific card - and the standards for Gem Mint have been relaxed across the board. The only reason I submitted through CGC was because they USED to be more strict. Let the team know. Strict is better. Rarity is better. Low population is better. 

There is an error I had reported and CGC keeps just telling me they are working on it.

All of my cards Ive sent in for reholder have been getting re-added to the pop report. Lots of cards I know for certain because they were 1 of 1s at their grade, and obscure cards.

Curious if lots of this new pop report data you are seeing could be cards sent in for reholder that are getting counted again and duplicated in the pop report.