• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winner, Biggest Shipping Rip-Off Ever!

13 posts in this topic

Funny..he's in Tampa...rigns a bell...and I just realized I've been to this guy's house! Books, pulps, paperback, comics, stacked floor to 12' ceiling all over the place. Dave Alexander has, or at least he used to have, thousands of gold and silver age books laying around his house, it's like a museum! laugh.gif

How is this a rip off? The auction clearly states that the shipping includes insurance. Priority mail of a CGC book with $4000 insurance is over $50 total, I think the $40 is about right if not a bargain. Would you want this book that worth $3000 to $4000 to be shipped without insurance? In his other auctions on low grade comics the shipping fee is $5.00.

Tomega

I don't think it does - I might be wrong, but here are his terms:

SHIPPING: Buyer pays $40.00 processing and delivery fee in the United States. Please email for foreign rates.

This amount includes processing your item both in and out of our warehouse, shipping and storage materials, consignment costs, and costs of transporting your item(s) to the post office, in addition to postal fees. Since many items come from outside sources and incur consignment fees, we must impose this fee to continue to offer items at the lowest possible minimum bid. This allows us to offer the widest possible variety of material from many sources, while giving each bidder a chance to get the best available deal.

Important Note: If you are the winning bidder please be advised that we usually ship within 1-2 weeks but as we are often on the road for conventions or collection acquisitions therefore in very rare instances it may take as much as 4-6 weeks to recieve your item

I don't see insurance in there anywhere?

I have bought from him, David Alexander for over 15 years. He has old ads in the back of the comics we all collect today. He has a warehouse of paper, all kinds of stuff, art, pulp, comics, movie posters.... Tons of stuff. He's an honest guy.

You have to look above. It does it include insurance -

These will be listed on eBay in the comming weeks. If you have an interest in any of these please contact us and we will put them on first! CHECK OUR OTHER AUCTIONS FOR MORE GOLDEN AGE!

Shipping fee includes insurace. Shipping cannot be combined on CGC slabbed books.

He spelled insurance wrong, but it is included. Not that bad deal then.

Tomega

It does suck, he should have been more concise. The seller can scare away potential bidders since it is not clear as to what the shipping cost includes. I am currently the high bidder but the reserve is not met and it looks like it will not go any higher then what I bid.

Tomega

FYI: It is cheaper to send packages within the US, via Registered Mail than Priority Mail, if the declared value is in excess of $2,000. You can insure an item up to $2,000 for $10.55 via Registered Mail vs $21.20 for Priority Mail. An item sent Registered can be insured for up to $10,000 for $17.35 or up to $25,000 for $30.10. Besides being cheaper, Registered Mail is much more secure, as it has to be signed for and locked up, every step of the way.

Ted