• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Superman 75 Platinum with No Number

3 posts in this topic

Hi Folks, 

I am hoping to draw on the experience and expertise on these boards for something I found baffling. I was sorting comics for my next show and I normally toss Death of Superman stuff in my dollar bins. I am not an avid Superman collector so I don't know the ins and out of the run, so I set it aside to check it out. It appears to be an opened Superman 75 Platinum edition, but there is no number printed on the back. 

I searched online, including these boards, and it seems like there are others but I could not get any info on them. Specifically, roughly how much are they worth? How does CGC handle them when they go in for grading (green label, blue label, etc)? And are they some type of error variant that is not identified in the census yet?

Here are pics of my copy. Any input is appreciated. 

IMG_7431.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

Edited by Stefan_W

At least one other unnumbered copy exists, a signed copy in a CBCS slab. I believe there's at least one other such raw book, also.

There was discussion that these books are errors -- that is, that there were intended to have a serial number, but something went wrong with the process of printing the serial number, leaving the back blank. I find that... unconvincing. I suspect that these were copies produced for outside of normal distribution, such as company file copies; media/promotional copies; or copies comped to members of the design, production, or printing teams. But that's honestly just speculation. 

I don't know what CGC would do here. I'm going to guess blue label with a note reading "printed without serial number" or something like that, but if they opted to green label this book, I wouldn't exactly be surprised. I would not expect them to treat it as a unique variant.

I don't really have any idea what the market would do with these in general. I don't really pretend to understand what the market does with normal copies of this book, although I'll note that there's typically an exceptionally high 9.8 premium for this (probably because of the likelihood of a transfer bend/crease from the polybag seam).

On 3/25/2024 at 8:54 PM, Qalyar said:

I don't really have any idea what the market would do with these in general. I don't really pretend to understand what the market does with normal copies of this book, although I'll note that there's typically an exceptionally high 9.8 premium for this (probably because of the likelihood of a transfer bend/crease from the polybag seam).

Mine is definitely not a 9.8 copy since it has a crease (I can get most of that out) along with a tiny bit out of the top right front corner. 

Known error variants can be really erratic when it comes to pricing, and my guess is ones not acknowledged by CGC would be even moreso. If someone told me I could make $50 as a novelty item I would believe them, and if someone told me I could make 500 since completist collectors who have all the other variants will want one of the rare copies I would also believe them.