• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very light spine stress lines
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I am thinking of making a purchase of a 9.6 book, where the grader's notes reference 'very light spine stress lines'.

Having consulted the CGC Guide, I couldn't find any definitive answer to whether or not this description is applied to colour-breaking and/or non colour-breaking stress lines.

The pictures don't appear to show anything colour-breaking, hence the book might be suitable for CPR.  I wondered if others have any solid insights as to when CGC uses this particular phrase.

Many thanks.

Paul

Grading is subjective and from what I read on this site as I do not use their services is that CGC is not very consistent with their grading.

This is why folks tell you to, "Buy The Book, Not The Grade."

According to the Overstreet/Heritage grading standards for spine ticks/stress lines/color breaks...

NM+ 9.6 - Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible, but no creases, bends, or color break. 

NM 9.4 - Almost no stress lines, . A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break.

NM- 9.2 - Almost no stress lines. A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break.

VF/NM 9.0 - A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly imperceptible. An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken.

VF 8.0 - Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. 

FN/VF 7.0 - The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present.

Edited by marvelmaniac