• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have choosen to get my book authentic rather than restored
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2024 at 5:13 PM, drmccoy74 said:

Hopefully you still have the corner piece. Scotch tape it back on from the inside of the front cover

If you do this, please spend the fairly trivial amount of extra money for archival grade tape instead of Scotch tape. Scotch tape is adjacent to the devil.

On 3/31/2024 at 12:47 AM, Qalyar said:

If you do this, please spend the fairly trivial amount of extra money for archival grade tape instead of Scotch tape. Scotch tape is adjacent to the devil.

I thought scotch tape got the blue label and archival tape got you a  purple ? Has this changed?

On 3/31/2024 at 5:06 AM, drmccoy74 said:

I thought scotch tape got the blue label and archival tape got you a  purple ? Has this changed?

Anyone else think this is messed up?  Personally i don't think books with tape should be awarded a blue label.  But if you allow Scotch tape, come on, you have to allow archival tape, right?

On 3/30/2024 at 9:44 AM, BA773 said:

corner piece was fallen irretrievably so i decided to leave the book without rather than stick it with tape or glue.

IMG-20240330-WA0005.thumb.jpg.202dc1f77067052a50de84674f4fe9df.jpg

Who agree? This books looks so proud even with a missing piece

Ever consider reattaching by an archival paper mending technique?  Reversible, and Conserved label from CGC.  That would be the route i would go personally.  Preserves the piece from getting lost, presents better, and does not add anything destructive to the comic book.  

On 3/31/2024 at 3:22 PM, Paul Kosnik said:

Ever consider reattaching by an archival paper mending technique?  Reversible, and Conserved label from CGC.  That would be the route i would go personally.  Preserves the piece from getting lost, presents better, and does not add anything destructive to the comic book.  

Well honneslty we re rather talking about few little pieces than just 1... it was divide in 3 so it just looked like frankenstein book as they said lol

Why grade it at all?  Post pictures of it in the "Grade-My-Comic" section, and use the average from there to print a nice personalized label for it.  You already have it in a really nice hardcase.  I'd be worried about other people (mail person included) handling it in order to have it graded.

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 7:29 PM, Yorick said:

Why grade it at all?  Post pictures of it in the "Grade-My-Comic" section, and use the average from there to print a nice personalized label for it.  You already have it in a really nice hardcase.  I'd be worried about other people (mail person included) handling it in order to have it graded.

But who have said that i would get it graded? 

And the part about the "personalized label" i just dont get the interest... sorry.

Honnestly even if its not a good place to mention it, i have a little hate about cgc and all these grading society who are killing the hobby.

Edited by BA773

On 3/31/2024 at 12:08 PM, BA773 said:

Honnestly even if its not a good place to mention it, i have a little hate about cgc and all these grading society who are killing the hobby.

Didn't you just get into the hobby?  I'm curious as how someone who is new to the hobby think comic grading kills the hobby when it was here before you even started.  I can see how the hobby has changed for those that were in it before the grading company came along, but not for someone who just started since the grading company were already in existence when before they even started.  

And the part about the "personalized label" i just dont get the interest... sorry.

It must be the translation of the title.  I assumed you intended to have the book graded.

It's a very cool book!  :)

On 3/31/2024 at 10:59 PM, Semicentennial said:

Didn't you just get into the hobby?  I'm curious as how someone who is new to the hobby think comic grading kills the hobby when it was here before you even started.  I can see how the hobby has changed for those that were in it before the grading company came along, but not for someone who just started since the grading company were already in existence when before they even started.  

There s only the  grumpy old man to tell you  that you can't have an opinion on something older than you...

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 11:08 PM, Yorick said:

It must be the translation of the title.  I assumed you intended to have the book graded.

It's a very cool book!  :)

Ah ok got it, the fact is just that i d prefer that the book dont try to look better than his real condition. 

Edited by BA773

It's obvious that English is not your mother tongue.  However, since you've now scolded others for not understanding your poor English, let me just say this: your title, "I have chosen to get my book authentic" could easily be read by someone trying to understand you as "I have chosen to get my book authenticated" rather than "I have chosen to leave my book as is" (which is apparently what you meant).  :foryou:

i have a little hate about cgc and all these grading society who are killing the hobby.

There have been three major milestones in our hobby, and each dramatically expanded it:

1. The introduction of a formal, widely-accepted price guide by Robert Overstreet in 1970.
  2. The publication of The Photo-Journal Guides by Ernst Gerber in 1989/1990 (as Hannibal Lecter notes, "We begin by coveting what we see ...").
  3. The founding of an independent, third-party grading company by Steve Borock et al in 2000.

"Wisdom is achieved by keeping an open mind and a closed mouth.  On the other hand, ignorance is exposed by having an open mouth and a closed mind. "  :preach:

On 4/1/2024 at 12:12 AM, zzutak said:

It's obvious that English is not your mother tongue.  However, since you've now scolded others for not understanding your poor English, let me just say this: your title, "I have chosen to get my book authentic" could easily be read by someone trying to understand you as "I have chosen to get my book authenticated" rather than "I have chosen to leave my book as is" (which is apparently what you meant).  :foryou:

There have been three major milestones in our hobby, and each dramatically expanded it:

1. The introduction of a formal, widely-accepted price guide by Robert Overstreet in 1970.
  2. The publication of The Photo-Journal Guides by Ernst Gerber in 1989/1990 (as Hannibal Lecter notes, "We begin by coveting what we see ...").
  3. The founding of an independent, third-party grading company by Steve Borock et al in 2000.

"Wisdom is achieved by keeping an open mind and a closed mouth.  On the other hand, ignorance is exposed by having an open mouth and a closed mind. "  :preach:

Sorry if was looking tough, i do not wanted to "scold" someone else.

On 3/30/2024 at 10:44 AM, BA773 said:

corner piece was fallen irretrievably so i decided to leave the book without rather than stick it with tape or glue.

IMG-20240330-WA0005.thumb.jpg.202dc1f77067052a50de84674f4fe9df.jpg

Who agree? This books looks so proud even with a missing piece

Looks great, even with the missing piece. And I think it's cool that you went from buying post-Crisis DCs to picking up a nice Silver Age key. Nice book!