• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on buying a book with color touch
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Saw an X-Men #94....probably around a 4.0-4.5 or so....except there is slight color touch on cover. a spot on the spine and a couple other small spots on the cover. $200 a fair price? Not a great pic and you can ignore the $300 price tag. But I have seen in person and there is definitely more color touch than what is pointed out. Subtle, but it's there. I'm not looking to get one to slab. Just want a raw to fill my Claremont run and this darn issue is the last one I need. Trash copies with no color touch seem to be going for $200+. And that's sub 2.0 grades. Curious to thoughts from y'all.

image.jpeg.b9f15a8c2b69195dcbb9f5ac947df560.jpeg

If you just want a raw to fill your reading run, and you don't care it's been color-touched, then getting a copy that will present well and doesn't have defects that make it fragile to handle or read, seems like a good option.  Two hundred dollars does seem to be ante for this book in even the most physically-trashed condition.

It's arguably the 2nd most important book in the whole run with 101 gaining.  It sounds like you have reservations.  You can be patient and wait for a nicer one you will always be happy with. 

$200 is probably a fair enough price as it is 1/2 of what a 4.0 would cost.  Keep in mind that in the future the book will always be worth less than a copy with no restoration and will likely be harder to sell. 

Personally, I think you'd be better off with a lower grade unrestored copy for a bit more $$. Mycomicshop has a CGC 3.0 for about $300. it would almost certainly be - over the long term - a better purchase financially. 

Edited by Tony S

On 4/4/2024 at 1:12 AM, CPaige said:

Well, in the end I picked it up for $150. No regrets! I am certain if/when I ever sold it, I would recoup my $$. And in the meantime, I filled my Claremont run for a reasonable price. 

Congrats on getting a book you're happy with. Just so you and anyone else following this thread, if you are buying books and plan on holding them 40 years or so then the advice Tony S gave is golden. A common regret/bitterness long term collectors have expressed when they sell off their collection is they bought restored books and those books are only a fraction of what the books would be if they just spent a few more bucks originally.

On Wednesday Heritage auctioned off a 8.5 Action 1 (Kansas City) and an 8.0 Restored Action 1 that sold in the same auction this week. The 8.5 sold for over 5 million dollars more than the 8.0 restored copy did. Not saying an X-men 94 will ever reach that value in the future but I was watching the Heritage sale to see the difference in the results.

Edited by Vintage_Paper