• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Attend 2024 Windy City Pulp And Paper Convention? ("Non-collectors exist to be ignored…")
3 3

37 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2024 at 10:22 PM, MattTheDuck said:

So...when's the Show?

Windy City starts this week Thursday night and Pulp Fest Mars PA August 1-4 (thumbsu

Thinking about making the last minute trip up since Chicago is closer than Pittsburgh.  Programming looks more extensive at Pittsburgh, though.

I'd like to meet some of the other pulp scholars I've corresponded with over the years for certain or people from the pulpscans group, but throwing down for a hotel room and entry costs just so I can throw down for pricey books might not be in the cards right now :bigsmile:

Do they screen films all day?  Surely, I'd get board of box flipping and shopping after a few hours, maybe not though :roflmao:

I guess the early bird entry is important?  Lord knows the very idea makes me feel like a Black Friday loon -

How about prices.  High prices on the sweetest items but nice "dollar" bin material?

Edited by Darwination

I've discovered I can't make it, anyways, as my wife and I have plans I'd forgotten about six hours in the opposite direction.  Sorority Mother's Weekend, jfc, "self - how did I get here?" Maybe I can do Pittsburgh, though 🤔

On 4/2/2024 at 7:23 AM, johnenock said:

Isn't there going to be a blizzard in Chicago this week? Brrr.

I can’t imagine. I lived through a couple of brutal winters there. Ironically, we got a DELUGE of rain at CalCon a couple months ago and another ton of rain at WonderCon last weekend. Just on con weekends… stay warm gang!

On 4/1/2024 at 10:59 AM, Darwination said:

Thinking about making the last minute trip up since Chicago is closer than Pittsburgh.  Programming looks more extensive at Pittsburgh, though.

I'd like to meet some of the other pulp scholars I've corresponded with over the years for certain or people from the pulpscans group, but throwing down for a hotel room and entry costs just so I can throw down for pricey books might not be in the cards right now :bigsmile:

Do they screen films all day?  Surely, I'd get board of box flipping and shopping after a few hours, maybe not though :roflmao:

I guess the early bird entry is important?  Lord knows the very idea makes me feel like a Black Friday loon -

How about prices.  High prices on the sweetest items but nice "dollar" bin material?

I think I missed my “window of opportunity” for this show. Should have gone a few years ago. With plane tickets, hotel and food costs and the current “fever pitch” pulp prices, it most certainly wouldn’t be worth a trip from the West Coast. 

I prefer Chicago as a travel destination (greatly) to Pittsburgh, but the programming looks much better at Pulpfest.  Am I wrong?

It has to be more than about the shopping, but then again I'm curious about what's on offer in that department, too.

I get a little bit cynical about the profit motive driving conventions, but that's easy for an outsider to say.

On 4/2/2024 at 9:11 AM, Darwination said:

I prefer Chicago as a travel destination (greatly) to Pittsburgh, but the programming looks much better at Pulpfest.  Am I wrong?

It has to be more than about the shopping, but then again I'm curious about what's on offer in that department, too.

I get a little bit cynical about the profit motive driving conventions, but that's easy for an outsider to say.

I think “profit motive” has diminished quite a bit for con promoters at least on the West Coast. Even small shows. Real sad and I sure not a sign of things to come. I really look forward to shows. MUCH better than simply buying “on line”. I think the Torpedo show in LA in July will be a strong indicator. 

On 4/2/2024 at 12:02 PM, Robot Man said:

I think I missed my “window of opportunity” for this show. Should have gone a few years ago. With plane tickets, hotel and food costs and the current “fever pitch” pulp prices, it most certainly wouldn’t be worth a trip from the West Coast. 

Even if you were picked up in a Volkswagon van with the beads separating the front and back with a fridge and such, ...on the house? GOD BLESS .... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Well, the last two years were excellent for PB buying at Windy City so I am still trying to finagle the opportunity to go again. Although having just gone to the LA show put a crimp in my sales pitch to the wif (and wallet), she still hasn't said "no way honey" if I can find the right flights hm. I have a buddy's place to stay at downtown so the TCO will be low if I can swing it, even if just for saturday. I'll know within the next 48. It's a wonderful show. If prices are too high on things I just walk by them, who cares? There's a lot of tables.

On 4/3/2024 at 7:29 AM, catrick339 said:

I'll be there with a spankin' new hardcover collection and a good sized pile of new pulps. 
Some nice vintage comics to boot. Paperbacks are thin this year. 

BOOKS.jpg

BOOKS2.jpg

BOOKS3.jpg

BOOKS4.jpg

COMICS.jpg

Just hitting Catrick’s booth might be reason enough to go. I have heard nothing but glowing revues of this show for years. If I lived anywhere even remotely close, I would be there with bells on.

I hope to see a couple of revues with pictures.

On 4/3/2024 at 10:45 AM, Robot Man said:

Just hitting Catrick’s booth might be reason enough to go. I have heard nothing but glowing revues of this show for years. If I lived anywhere even remotely close, I would be there with bells on.

I hope to see a couple of revues with pictures.

I hope to post plenty of pix again this year. 
And yes, those are all first editions, including all the Philip K Dirk and the Hemingway. I'm keeping the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich. 

Edited by catrick339