• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Article: Comics in Switzerland
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2024 at 9:13 AM, BA773 said:

However, im really happy to have now 3 true friends who are into it and with who i can share my passion,

So, by my standards, in a country not known for obsession with comics, and paraphrasing what you said in your post, that’s actually quite a good situation.

Back in the 70s, in England, I only knew one other person in the area who was just as hyped up as I was about the medium.

And, there were many of us around, despite the cult-like, underground disconnection.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Interesting to hear a take from a Swiss native. I visited the German part of Switzerland in 2019 and noticed there was very little comic (and pop culture in general) prevalence there compared to the US. I visited a comic shop (in Winterthur, maybe). There seemed to be a large presence of Disney ducks, Marsupilami and Schlumpfe, with some superhero sprinkled in. I don't remember seeing many back issues. 

On 4/2/2024 at 5:14 PM, spracknetch23 said:

Interesting to hear a take from a Swiss native. I visited the German part of Switzerland in 2019 and noticed there was very little comic (and pop culture in general) prevalence there compared to the US. I visited a comic shop (in Winterthur, maybe). There seemed to be a large presence of Disney ducks, Marsupilami and Schlumpfe, with some superhero sprinkled in. I don't remember seeing many back issues. 

And notice that the German part is most involved! Probably because the French part are pretty bad in english...

On 4/2/2024 at 6:28 PM, thehumantorch said:

Thanks @BA773

I'm a collector of foreign SA comics, think Spanish Fantastic Four from the early 160s.   What do you have locally for books published for your market?

Unfortunately im the probably the greatest radical of the country, i cannot even think to buy a tpb or omnibus, and dont speak to me about translated stuff :pullhair: 

Yes i know that i have a problem... lol

So i cannot give you my personal opinion on it... except that im a great novel reader so i often go to the library to buy books and when i go i just take a look on the graphic novels part just to see what is offered, and honnestly this part of the library is submerged by the Manga, but also a good quantity of Franco-Belgian. For the US translated comics well... the space dedicated to it is probably smaller than the personal librabry that some people have in their home lol these translated edition are mostly some trades of 6 to 8 issues of the recent comic books, there s an editor named Urban Comics who made a good job for DC translation, Marvel are principally managed by Panini and their work are pretty bad, ridiculous translation, books which are often out of stock and some people use it to sell them for stupid price and weak people buy them then we all know that they will be reprint... and nobody care to get the first print of a tpb especially a TRANSLATED tpb... so these price drop are stupid, like some omnibus value in US...

Translated comics in floppy form were totally stopped many years ago for the french editions, dont know if german have survived...

To tell more about the Panini translation on Marvel... we can even speak of a scandal, the early spiderman were translated using dissapeared terms and useless vulgarity, some sentance were even incomprehensible like if the translation was made by Google, which totally discredited the charachter and discouraged many readers :tonofbricks:

Thank you for the post @BA773.

I have always enjoyed your posts.

I didn't know you were Swiss.  You are a good ambassador for your country!

I have run into a fair number of Swiss expats in Latin America and I'm pretty sure I ended up angry each time.  Only last month I had sworn to myself I'd never talk to another Swiss expat after one of them ruined my seat at the bar. I was perfectly happy, sitting with a stray dog at the bar, and they came into the bar, fresh off the plane, and wanted to talk to an American about their admiration of Putin.

Your love of comics has helped me see the error of my ways. I will give the next Swiss-in-the-jungle a fair chance. I'll tell them I know a Swiss dude who likes Batman and maybe that will help steer them towards a friendly conversation instead of a bar fight.

On 4/3/2024 at 1:02 AM, Turnando said:

I have run into a fair number of Swiss expats in Latin America and I'm pretty sure I ended up angry each time.  Only last month I had sworn to myself I'd never talk to another Swiss expat after one of them ruined my seat at the bar. I was perfectly happy, sitting with a stray dog at the bar, and they came into the bar, fresh off the plane, and wanted to talk to an American about their admiration of Putin.

Your love of comics has helped me see the error of my ways. I will give the next Swiss-in-the-jungle a fair chance. I'll tell them I know a Swiss dude who likes Batman and maybe that will help steer them towards a friendly conversation instead of a bar fight.

My love of the comics dont necessary make me a nice guy... like anyone here.

I have no opinion on any race personally, insufficiently_thoughtful_person are all around the world... 

I don't want to ruin the atmosphere but for me the greatest problem above all is probably, as sad as it is to admit... the human... Maybe is why i always had so much love for Martian Manhunter :/

Posted (edited)

An usual announce on a Swiss website... the guy put them on auction for 65 dollars starting bid or buy it now for 90 dollars, we re talking about a lot of 6 freaking 90s flash issues... i mean i almost got the complet run including most of the keys books + a great ammount on international shipping fees and im still under 3 per books...

in US all that stuff is findable in every dollar bins...

But finally its honnest considering  that the postage is ONLY 25...:roflmao:

(In Switzerland the shipping cost for a package under 22lbs is 12 dollars) 

Screenshot_20240411-091108.thumb.jpg.07689297624732b9fe59754ba3d564ae.jpg

Screenshot_20240411-091116.thumb.jpg.9125a009eba93b57c4e46d03a84dea99.jpg

Edited by BA773

On 4/11/2024 at 8:23 AM, BA773 said:

An usual announce on a Swiss website... the guy put them on auction for 65 dollars starting bid or buy it now for 90 dollars, we re talking about a lot of 6 freaking 90s flash issues... i mean i almost got the complet run including most of the keys books + a great ammount on international shipping fees and im still under 3 per books...

in US all that stuff is findable in every dollar bins...

But finally its honnest considering  that the postage is ONLY 25...:roflmao:

(In Switzerland the shipping cost for a package under 22lbs is 12 dollars) 

Screenshot_20240411-091108.thumb.jpg.07689297624732b9fe59754ba3d564ae.jpg

Screenshot_20240411-091116.thumb.jpg.9125a009eba93b57c4e46d03a84dea99.jpg

One part of the classic 'Return of Barry Allen' storyline, top left, which isn't much use alone, and the rest are decent reads but really gap fillers until Waid kicks into top gear again with the Impulse storyline.  Dollar bin fillers.

On 4/3/2024 at 1:02 AM, Turnando said:

As i see by your words on my topic about the Ebay mess, you quickly changed your mind on me :shy:  as i said pastly on this topic, my love of comics doesnt necessary means that im a nice guy... and it seems that you discovered it by yourself ...

Edited by BA773

On 4/2/2024 at 7:02 PM, Turnando said:

:smile:

image.gif.0cb67e2a42d0ec2999f7d1a595585dce.gif

On 5/2/2024 at 11:41 AM, BA773 said:

As i see by your words on my topic about the Ebay mess, you quickly changed your mind on me :shy:  as i said pastly on this topic, my love of comics doesnt necessary means that im a nice guy... and it seems that you discovered it by yourself ...

For what it's worth, I like your enthusiasm for comics and for DC. And I'm fond of the era of books that you collect since those are the books I was reading new as they were coming out. It's fun reading about you discovering them now, and I think it's important to have younger guys like you interested in our hobby.

On 5/2/2024 at 7:37 PM, Dave2739 said:

For what it's worth, I like your enthusiasm for comics and for DC. And I'm fond of the era of books that you collect since those are the books I was reading new as they were coming out. It's fun reading about you discovering them now, and I think it's important to have younger guys like you interested in our hobby.

Im refering of this posted on the other thread, here are the words of @Turnando:

"It's a Swiss thing. I think the OP is a good dude and cannot help being Swiss. 

I live surrounded by Swiss (and especially German) expats in Central America.  They are ALL like that. Without exception.  I have met 50 of them personally and I swear to god there are no exceptions."

Edited by BA773