• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have now the opportunity to get 1 complet serie!
1 1

11 posts in this topic

1 and only 1! 

You will not have the right to sell any of the books, so the monetary angle isnt a thing!

Probably many off you will choose a serie that they are already working on but they d think to never be able to finish. Im sure that there is many people here who have some near full run of Spidey or Batman and just need the big one they missed when it was yet in their price range and which is now not anymoredoh!

And an additional question: would you be ready to get ride of your entire collection to get this run?

For me the choice is without hesitation: the original All Star Comics from the 40s.

And are i am ready to get ride of all my books for it? In many years maybe i will have took more reflexion but at the time its a great: YES.

About that i seen a thread time ago of someone here who have the complete ASC run, really really impressive, all my respect!

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2024 at 12:17 AM, Ken Aldred said:

EC Weird Science

9.8, White pages

Gaines File Copies

Interesting to mention the condition, honnestly i think i will not like to get my serie in the highest grade because after got it i will probably never be satisfied again by any of my next purchase... however if you told me that you wont spend a dollar in more on comics after this i agree

Edited by BA773

A high grade set of Action 1-100 might be a really desirable and difficult set to obtain for obvious reasons and, with that monster book, eventually be a real life-changing moment when it came time to sell.  After all, despite your stated conditions, you can't take it with you.  That said, I'm more a Timely fan and for personal pleasure I'd go with a high-end complete run of Captain America:  It's got iconic covers that span very significant years in American history (WWII to the Cold War) which are reflected in their images (Nazi personages, the Holocaust, ETO) by some of the most significant artists of the Golden Age (Simon, Kirby, Schomburg).  It's a fairly reachable goal (I've got many of the issues already as you surmised) as it is compact enough to be stored in two boxes, and even if you were only to look at the CGC protected covers, the wealth of visuals is amazing.  I'd venture to say you would admire and find new things on most of them every time you looked.  And that would be a real collector's desire.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:07 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

A high grade set of Action 1-100 might be a really desirable and difficult set to obtain for obvious reasons and, with that monster book, eventually be a real life-changing moment when it came time to sell.  After all, despite your stated conditions, you can't take it with you.  That said, I'm more a Timely fan and for personal pleasure I'd go with a high-end complete run of Captain America:  It's got iconic covers that span very significant years in American history (WWII to the Cold War) which are reflected in their images (Nazi personages, the Holocaust, ETO) by some of the most significant artists of the Golden Age (Simon, Kirby, Schomburg).  It's a fairly reachable goal (I've got many of the issues already as you surmised) as it is compact enough to be stored in two boxes, and even if you were only to look at the CGC protected covers, the wealth of visuals is amazing.  I'd venture to say you would admire and find new things on most of them every time you looked.  And that would be a real collector's desire.

That was my first thought as well.  Either GA Cap or Marvel Mystery.  Just too many awesome Schomburg war covers.  Supreme eye candy.

In addition to a collection of about any genre of GA comic, I have many shorter complete runs. I would just get bored collecting full runs of Superman, Batman or Spiderman. I just go for the ones I really want.

I do have a complete collection of EC new trends and many of the pre trend ones. At this stage I am just upgrading. 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:17 PM, Ken Aldred said:

EC Weird Science

9.8, White pages

Gaines File Copies

One complete, ultimate series. That would be the absolute peak for me, as CGC 10.2 doesn’t yet exist, though theorised in another thread here.