• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-expert Looking for Experienced Opinions
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Good afternoon CGC crowd!  I collected comics (non-seriously) in the 1980's and early 1990's.  I just finished getting everything entered into ComicBase, and boy was I surprised by some of the (potential) values!  I know that people say that ComicBase is sometimes WAY off base with their pricing, but I also wasn't able to find good details about sales of these comics.  I'm gonna throw up my top 50 "highest value" comics list here, as rated by ComicBase.  These are all "Ungraded" prices listed, since I really don't know jack about grading.  I would really appreciate anyone taking a look at this list and giving me their two cents about which ones are actually valuable and worthy of sending off for grading.  I can also provide any scans you might like, or I can also pin up my complete collection if anyone would like to peruse it.  Thank you so much in advance!

The New Mutants #87 Ungraded $44.00

Archie 3000 #8 Ungraded $37.00

Betty’s Diary #24 Ungraded $35.00

Archie Giant Series Magazine #597 Ungraded $31.00

Archie Giant Series Magazine #572 Ungraded $30.00

Casper And… #5 Ungraded $28.00

Archie 3000 #5 Ungraded $25.00

Archie Giant Series Magazine #584 Ungraded $25.00

Betty and Veronica #28 Ungraded $23.40

Count Duckula #8 Ungraded $23.20

Everything’s Archie #146 Ungraded $23.20

Richie Rich Relics #2 Ungraded $23.20

The New Archies #22 Ungraded $20.60

Archie Giant Series Magazine #604 Ungraded $19.80

Archie’s Pals ’n Gals #198 Ungraded $19.80

Archie’s Pals ’n Gals #213 Ungraded $19.80

Archie’s R/C Racers #5 Ungraded $19.80

Everything’s Archie #135 Ungraded $19.80

Everything’s Archie #143 Ungraded $19.80

Everything’s Archie #148 Ungraded $19.80

The Friendly Ghost, Casper #236 Ungraded $19.80

Heathcliff #33 Ungraded $19.80

The New Archies #14 Ungraded $19.80

Woody Woodpecker Giant Size #1 Ungraded $19.80

Laugh (Vol. 2) #2 Ungraded $19.20

The New Archies #4 Ungraded $19.20

Archie’s Pals ’n Gals #211 Ungraded $19.00

Betty and Veronica #4 Ungraded $19.00

The New Archies #20 Ungraded $18.60

Richie Rich (1st Series) #239 Ungraded $18.60

The New Archies #13 Ungraded $17.60

The New Archies #15 Ungraded $17.40

Everything’s Archie #150 Ungraded $16.60

Foofur #5 Ungraded $16.20

The New Archies #19 Ungraded $15.60

Archie’s Pals ’n Gals #190 Ungraded $15.40

Faculty Funnies #4 Ungraded $14.40

Archie #66 Ungraded $14.00

Alf #43 Ungraded $13.20

Count Duckula #9 Ungraded $13.20

Faculty Funnies #3 Ungraded $12.20

Richie Rich (1st Series) #243 Ungraded $11.80

Archie Giant Series Magazine #602 Ungraded $11.60

Unearthly Spectaculars #1 Ungraded $11.60

Casper And… #9 Ungraded $11.00

Heathcliff #36 Ungraded $10.40

Betty & Me #167 Ungraded $10.20

Heathcliff’s Funhouse #7 Ungraded $9.60

Archie 3000 #1 Ungraded $9.00

Veronica #6 Ungraded $8.60

When your dealing with modern books, unfortunately grading is everything. 

I'm not to familiar with these particular issues, but my guess is, you would have a tough time realizing those prices raw.  

The NM87 is desirable and if it has NM potential, it will sell raw. 

I'm sure there's a grading guide online, and if there isn't pickup the latest Overstreet Price Guide and use that one-- they go through the 10 point grading system very thoroughly-- then grade like most dealers do-- very strictly on books you're buying and very generously on books you're selling-- ha I kid!  But seriously, it doesn't take long to figure out how to grade.   Take a stack of 10 books, grade them yourself using the guide, THEN put good scans of them here on the CGC Boards under the thread PLEASE GRADE MY... and see how close your grade is to folks with experience-- it will make you get better (obviously when you post the books don't tell us your grade).  In no time you're be a grading master.

And I agree with KCO-- with modern books-- and that's like 80s up - condition is everything.

I tend to downgrade my raw books when i am evaluating them by eye.......i.e. if i'm fairly certain a book is a 9.8, i will look at it as a 9.6 or 9.4. I mean, you can thoroughly inspect the book inside and out, but there could always be a small little smudge inside the book that you might miss, which will bring the book value down.....and it doesn't take much.

Also, when i am evaluating my books for value, i will cross-reference 3 main variations......i use Key Comic Collector, GoCollect and Ebay Sold Listings to figure out a price.

As others mentioned, condition is everything. Familiarizing yourself with that aspect will help. The only book I see of real interest is New Mutants 87. If in high grade (no creasing, bends, folds, stains, multiple spine tick marks) you could be looking at that value, maybe more.

The rest of the issues listed...I am at a loss as to how comicbase came up with those values. I would think you would have a hard time getting even $1-2 each for the rest of those. Archie and related stuff is only highly desired (and valuable) when it is from the 40s and early 50s or contains some sort of desired cover (usually swimsuit or some sort of innuendo related image on the cover). Otherwise good luck selling Archie comics for more than $1-2, if not less.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:35 AM, comicginger1789 said:

As others mentioned, condition is everything. Familiarizing yourself with that aspect will help. The only book I see of real interest is New Mutants 87. If in high grade (no creasing, bends, folds, stains, multiple spine tick marks) you could be looking at that value, maybe more.

The rest of the issues listed...I am at a loss as to how comicbase came up with those values. I would think you would have a hard time getting even $1-2 each for the rest of those. Archie and related stuff is only highly desired (and valuable) when it is from the 40s and early 50s or contains some sort of desired cover (usually swimsuit or some sort of innuendo related image on the cover). Otherwise good luck selling Archie comics for more than $1-2, if not less.

Thank you, Comicginger!  This is really what I was looking for.  I was at a loss for most of those values as well.  I do have a few Archies featuring swimsuit covers, etc.  In the next few days, I'll post some scans of the New Mutants 87 and others.  Just really trying to see what (if any) would be worth getting professionally graded for sale.  I should have added, I am looking to sell off my collection.  I was just going to list everything with Everything But The House (EBTH; they are local to me, and have pretty good national/international coverage.  I've seen some pretty run of the mill collections go for several hundred dollars), but wanted to have some stand-out pieces if possible.  Interesting side note: I see that you are in Canada.  I grew up in western Washington state, and just recently realized that some of my comics, especially the Archies, are Canadian Price Variants.  Is there a market for those for Canadian collectors?

On 4/9/2024 at 9:35 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I put up some scans of my New Mutants 87 on the PGM thread.  Take a look, if you are interested!  Also: I'll be putting up some "scandalous" Archies later today, and some tomorrow, too.  I don't expect them to go for much, but it might be a treat for anyone interested.  Thanks again! 

On 4/9/2024 at 10:32 AM, Anthriel said:

Thank you, Comicginger!  This is really what I was looking for.  I was at a loss for most of those values as well.  I do have a few Archies featuring swimsuit covers, etc.  In the next few days, I'll post some scans of the New Mutants 87 and others.  Just really trying to see what (if any) would be worth getting professionally graded for sale.  I should have added, I am looking to sell off my collection.  I was just going to list everything with Everything But The House (EBTH; they are local to me, and have pretty good national/international coverage.  I've seen some pretty run of the mill collections go for several hundred dollars), but wanted to have some stand-out pieces if possible.  Interesting side note: I see that you are in Canada.  I grew up in western Washington state, and just recently realized that some of my comics, especially the Archies, are Canadian Price Variants.  Is there a market for those for Canadian collectors?

There are definitely collectors of Canadian price variants. Usually it pertains to key issues (for example, the CPV for Amazing Spider-Man 252 is quite desired in high grade). But I am sure if posted you'd be surprised who might come up with a decent offer because they have to have it.

MCS has the Archie 3000, which you value at $37 for $4 in VF. While they don't have that issue in a CPV, they have other CPVs from that run going for less than $5.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:14 PM, shadroch said:

MCS has the Archie 3000, which you value at $37 for $4 in VF. While they don't have that issue in a CPV, they have other CPVs from that run going for less than $5.

Just so we're clear: that $37 is what ComicBase put on there.  I was EXTREMELY skeptical, thus throwing them up here for other's opinions.  I'd be gobsmacked if someone wanted an ungraded Archie for $37.  ;)

I don't think they're is much value in those Archie's.   I collect Archie's and I didn't see any issue that were highly collected so most are probably $1 to $2 each.  Cheryl blossom early appearances and 1st and 2nd Vampironica are worth grading if you have it.   Also swimsuit covers are sometimes worth a few dollars more, but there is so much hype on these books that most probably won't hold much value after the initial pump and dump. 

Edited by Semicentennial

On 4/9/2024 at 8:32 AM, Anthriel said:

Canadian price variants have a stronger market in the USA in my opinion. Here in Canada they are more easily found.

I’ve used comicbase for the past 16 years and love it as a database, but don’t use it for prices. For realtime values, I look up eBay sold sells and GPA for graded books. When no sales are available, I’ll look at overstreet.  

Edited by crazyhips