• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a Batman Adventures #12 in a CGC 9.8...but it doesn't look like one to me. Spine Ticks

8 posts in this topic

Here is a link to the book:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4299496006/

Looked great when I was inspecting it there, but when I got it in person, I noticed three spine ticks.  The one I can excuse but here are the two that are bothering the out of me.  Technically I guess they're small enough where they meet the CGC Guidelines and you can't really see it unless you look for them and bring it to the light but still.  I feel like I bought a new car but I'm fidgety with the 'scratches'  If this was a minor book I wouldn't care but this was a key I was looking for a long time.

Am I being too picky or did CGC mess up?

Thanks in advance

Har2.thumb.jpg.3b5b2da29d28e9aa037a60fe805ea497.jpgHar3.thumb.jpg.99190c14260833deb70f11ae4a2220fd.jpg

Har2.5.jpg

Edited by Bigphatpaulie

I personally think you are being too picky (and only offer this opinion because you specifically asked for our opinions!)

A 9.8 is not a 10 (or even a 9.9).  It has flaws that keep it from being a 9.9 or 10.  You can see the flaws.  That ought to be normal.  While some comic books look flawless in 9.8, i actually think these should be have 9.9s or 10s.  Nine point eight should be for books exactly like this one in my opinion.  CGC's description specifically states that in 9.8, a small color-breaking spine tick is allowed, as are other handling defects.

Congratulations on a beautiful acquisition!  I'd just enjoy it and stop scrutinizing it for defects.

Small spine ticks are allowed in 9.8, a lot of picky collectors want their 9.8's to present like 9.9's and 10s...even some cgc graders think 9.8s are on the same level as 9.9s which is why so many books are 9.8s are sitting inside 9.6 holders  

On 4/14/2024 at 3:54 PM, Kevin76 said:

Small spine ticks are allowed in 9.8, a lot of picky collectors want their 9.8's to present like 9.9's and 10s...even some cgc graders think 9.8s are on the same level as 9.9s which is why so many books are 9.8s are sitting inside 9.6 holders  

And why the world won't end if they occasionally start giving out actual 9.9s.